Text Boxes

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Shmoedoe

Post by Shmoedoe » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Is there any way to put a rectangular, square, circular or another generic shape around a text field. I am trying to indicate different versions of a melody with an "A" and "B" but I would like to have a box around the letter. I am able to create one myself by creating a custom frame but I can only use it once. In addition, I am a perfectionist and I can't stand the box not being perfectly square or the text being off centered. Any suggestions?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:34 pm

You can do that with a text expression (in the "full" Finale at least). Select the text and in the text menu, select "Custom frame", and create a rectangle. I find it a bit slow.
It would probably be faster and more flexible to rather use a text expression, but that's a matter of personal preference. There are advantages : you can define an enclosure and adjust its size quickly, with many shapes and options, you can attach the expression to one or more staves, re-arrange the layout without having to re-position it, add it or not to the parts, etc...
Finale 2010 has rehearsal letters with a square around them ready to use in the "rehearsal marks" expression category. They can even use an alphabetical sequence automatically and their size and font can of course be modified.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:14 am

Shmoedoe,

Are you still using Finale 2008?

An alternative to using a text expression:
In Finale 2008 you can add a text block with the Text Tool (icon: A).

A text block has the following positioning options:

A text block can be page assigned (sticks with the page) or measure assigned (sticks with the measure).

If you enter a text block from Page View, it will automatically be page assigned.
If you enter a text block from Scroll View, it will automatically be measure assigned.

You can edit a text block's positioning parameters by selecting its handle (drag across the text block handle to make it dark), and then going to
Text menu > Frame Attributes...

You can draw a rectangle around a text block:
Select the text block handle, and go to
Text menu > Standard Frame...
In the dialog box Standard Frame, select "Show Border", and choose a value for "Line Thickness" (e. g. 1 Point) and for "Inset Text" (e. g. 6 Points).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Shmoedoe

Post by Shmoedoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 am

Peter, your suggestion is exactly what I needed.

Thank you both for your responses and help.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 am

I'm learning myself, thanks Peter. The creation of enclosures works different in the Expression tool, it is more visual and intuitive ; it is a bit weird that for a similar task, Finale uses different approaches for different tools.
I see that you also can expand the rectangle manually on both sides (after selecting it), and use Text->Justification->center if you want the text centered in the rectangle (which seems to be the only shape available in "standard frame").
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

dstraigh
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160

Post by dstraigh » Sat May 06, 2023 2:10 am

Egad. Upon first pass, I still can't figure out how to put a rectangular box around text. I wish the process were a lot simpler.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat May 06, 2023 3:24 am

The box is called an "enclosure." I've put them on expressions; I'm not sure if they exist for text blocks (seems like they should).

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 am

To put an enclosure around a text block:

1) Text Tool.
A handle will appear on the text block.

2) Drag-select the handle on the text block.

3) Text menu > Standard Frame…

dstraigh

Post by dstraigh » Sat May 06, 2023 7:04 pm

No luck :(
text_frame_attempt_resized.png

dstraigh

Post by dstraigh » Sat May 06, 2023 7:20 pm

Okay, I got it to work - and it is ultra easy. I saw the check next to Standard Frame . . . and thought that was all one did - check the Standard Frame . . . (kind of like how you'd assign text to a page or measure) but, then I noticed the three dots - that often means there's another menu. There was. So, you click on Standard Frame . . . even if it is checked. Then you setup the frame boarder (mine defaulted to zero). I'm not sure what the units are - but 0.01 seemed to work okay. There's text padding as well (called inset text).

Anyway, many thanks!
text_frame_resized.png

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 06, 2023 8:55 pm

dstraigh wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:20 pm
… but, then I noticed the three dots - that often means there's another menu. There was. So, you click on Standard Frame . . . even if it is checked …
If you look in the Text menu, you will see that there is a keyboard shortcut to the Standard Frame dialog box:
⌘M

dstraigh wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:20 pm
… I'm not sure what the units are - but 0.01 seemed to work okay …
You can decide what Measurement Units to use - in two ways:

1) To set the default units in Finale, go to
Finale menu > Measurement Units > …

Many users find it easier to work with small default units, such as Points or EVPUs.

2) To - temporarily - enter values in other units than the default units, type the value followed by a letter code:

e for EVPUs (or evpus, or EVPUs)
pt for points (or pts, or points) 1pt = 4e
s for spaces (or sp, or spaces) 1s = 6pt
p for picas (or pi, or picas) 1p = 2s
i for inches (or ", or in, or inch, or inches) 1i = 6p
c for centimeters (or cm, or centimeters)
m for millimeters (or mm, or millimeters)

Note: When you’re overriding the default setting in this way, you even have an extra unit option (millimeters) not available in the sub-menu for Measurement Units.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat May 06, 2023 9:15 pm

Ah. Confusing, because there are "Frame attributes" which are totally unrelated to a text box. They should have called Standard Frame "Standard Enclosure."