Page Layout workflow suggestions

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mjdisler
Finale Version: 2010 & 2011 Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by mjdisler » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Comments apply to Finale for Mac, 2010, running on a late 2009 Mac Mini:
I've used Finale since the early 1990's, and just about the time I think a page layout workflow is nailed down, something makes me feel like a beginner all over again. Yes, I have tried just about everything in the Finale Help instructions, but I've NEVER encountered a real-world workflow procedure specified anywhere.

Have developed my own, but it sure didn't work today. All day trying to get a single stave (classic guitar piece) to abut the top margin of a second page. Using a "0" for the "top" of the uppermost system usually does it, but today that caused the stave to jump to the previous page. Tried using minuscule settings for the "top" measurement, but they never quite worked without causing it to jump.

I've tried various setting - locking systems, various "space systems…" settings from the Page Layout menu, you name it. I even had a situation where the top stave of the second page replicated on the bottom of the previous page, so there were TWO "copies" of the same stave. Update layout did nothing to correct it. The extra stave was not editable, but wouldn't go away.

MY QUESTION: Not asking anyone to solve my immediate problem. But, can anyone point me to an article, book, forum discussion, whatever, where "workflow" is presented - not just how a tool works or tips & tricks. You'll be forever blessed in the Finale world!
Finale 2010 & 2011.r2, Intel Mac OS X.6.8

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 pm

mjdisler wrote:...All day trying to get a single stave (classic guitar piece) to abut the top margin of a second page. Using a "0" for the "top" of the uppermost system usually does it, but today that caused the stave to jump to the previous page. Tried using minuscule settings for the "top" measurement, but they never quite worked without causing it to jump...
I may not understand the problem fully, but can't you solve the problem by inserting a Page Break in the uppermost system?

I believe that you can prevent a system from jumping to the bottom of the previous page by inserting a Page Break in that system.

(Click the uppermost system to select it, and go to
Page Layout menu > Insert Page Break)

As for your question about a "workflow procedure specified", I think it's not that easy, since the best workflow procedure may very well depend on the nature of the actual job.

Engraving an opera has its own, specific Page Layout problems that are much different from the Page Layout problems you encounter when engraving, say, a composition for a solo instrument.

Generally, it's my experience that finding out (= deciding!) how, exactly, you want the layout to look, is the tough part of the "layout job".
The less tough part is creating the layout, once you have finally found out, exactly how it should look.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 pm

I have a few video tutorials here on page layout:

http://notationnation.com/index.php/vid ... ayout-tool

most of my tutorials in this section have to do with processes and optimization.

mjdisler
Finale Version: 2010 & 2011 Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by mjdisler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 am

(Click the uppermost system to select it, and go to
Page Layout menu > Insert Page Break)

Mr. Thomsen - This was very helpful. (Why couldn't I find it?!!) - Though I've never had to use it before in numerous similar documents.

You're right, that workflow probably varies with the type of work. However, will share what I do with classic guitar scores, in case it helps someone else, and as an example of what I mean:
=======
(Working from a template I've made:)
1. Enter all notes, including ornaments, grace notes.
2. Do basic page layout BEFORE adding fingerings & other marks.
 Decide on Maestro or Maestrowide font, depending on density of score.
3. Set page percentage. (Included in the template)
Apply Finale music spacing. (Load the library desired.
) If single measure widths or extra space at beginning or end are changed, or other measure size elements are changed, do them AFTER general music spacing. Otherwise they’ll revert. DO NOT apply general music spacing after single measures are adjusted, except possibly to selected measures.
4. Run Patterson beams.
5. Do Special Tools adjustments as needed 

6. LAST, add Articulations & Expressions (fingerings, etc.) in Page View. Use ruler guides for alignments. [Wish Finale had an Alignment feature for elements other than notes. Would save bucketloads of time.]
7. Save Libraries, especially if alterations were made in custom Artics or Expressions (such as font changes, etc.)
- Articulations, Text Expressions, etc.

-----
Notice that basic page layout is done early for this type of score. [Hence my earlier frustration - can't get on with the details until layout is essentially complete]. Classic guitar scores can get VERY crowded with multiple voices (as many as 6 possible, though 3 or 4 voices with occasional 6-note chords more common), fingerings, position & string indications - all on a single staff! In my experience, doing these additions AFTER notation & preliminary page layout is necessary to accommodate the space needed for all these additional markings.

Thanks all for replies.
Finale 2010 & 2011.r2, Intel Mac OS X.6.8