MusiXTeX

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:50 am

Thanks to both Peters for your answers to my preceeding question. In fact the time signature of my score is not 4/4, and therefor I have to do like you advise: making triple rests...

The fact that one has to "cheat" the program in order to get a simple result like a rest, somehow shows that the structure of Finale is not conceived very cleanly and has grown within the years into something unnecessarily complicated.

For text-processing I use LaTeX (free). It has a very simple and LOGIC structure. There is also MusiXTeX (free), but I have not installed it yet. Has anyone of you tried it? If yes, what was your experience?

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:51 am

Bernhard wrote:The fact that one has to "cheat" the program in order to get a simple result like a rest, somehow shows that the structure of Finale is not conceived very cleanly and has grown within the years into something unnecessarily complicated.
Would you prefer to get rests everywhere automatically, so that you need to delete or hide them? How else should a machine know where you want rests or not? When you write a score manually, you will have to write rests for a second line, too. You could write empty bars without rests, ok, but you can do it also with Finale, Finale just helps you to fill in rests in totally empty measures.
Please be careful with statements about the structure of a program before you even know how to use it.

Peter