chord diagrams

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:53 pm

hello ! Can anybody tell me how I should proceed in order to select chord diagrams from Finale to include them in a text written with Word i.e; I would like to have the diagrams in the text of songs; Thk in advance :roll:

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:49 pm

Finale comes with the font Seville where each font character is a chord diagram.
You can use Seville directly in Word, without launching Finale at all.

Beware, however, that Seville's chord diagrams won't be legible at a small point size, e. g 12 points.
And if you use a big point size (e. g. 36 points), the chord diagrams may be legible, but they also take up a lot of horizontal space.

Using chord symbols (e. g. A7) might be a better solution, since most chord symbols take up less horizontal space than chord diagrams.

Peter

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Finale comes with the font Seville where each font character is a chord diagram.
You can use Seville directly in Word, without launching Finale at all.
Thk you Peter. I cannot find Seville in the Word's Book of fonts. Do you know where I can get it from ?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:16 pm

If your fonts are installed correctly, they should be available to all your programs.

Try this:
Launch Finale, switch to the Text Tool, and take a look in the Text menu.
The font submenu should contain all the fonts in your system, including the Finale fonts, e. g. Maestro, Jazz, and Seville.

If some of the Finale fonts are missing, then grab your Finale cd, and do a custom install of only the Finale fonts.
After a restart of the computer, the Finale fonts (including Seville) should be available to all your programs, including Word.

Peter

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:31 am

sorry to trouble you again Peter. I have found Seville in the Finale fonts, but it is in italics and does not appear in Word inspite of the fact that I have dragged its icon (fron the cd) to the fonts library ??? :(

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:29 pm

You have installed Seville by having "dragged its icon (fron the cd) to the fonts library".
That method may not work.
In Other Words: The font may not be installed properly.

Instead, launch the Installer program on the cd.
In the Installer window, select "Custom Install" from the pop up menu, and select the fonts only.
That should work.
And remember to restart after the install.
(a restart may not be necessary if you are using Mac OS X)

Peter

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:19 pm

It is desperating ! After doing what you suggest, I received some fonts such as Jazz chords or Maestro, but not Seville.
There is also a font called Frets A B and C but it is very limited and the diagrams cannot be modiffied.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:07 am

I don't understand what's going on.

I have been using every version of Finale since Finale 3.0.1...
Now I'm using Finale 2005, and I have never heard about a Finale font called Frets A, B and C!

I can't explain why your Finale cd's Installer doesn't install Seville.

One last idea:
Download and install the Finale 2005 demo. Perhaps the demo installer will install the Seville font.

Peter

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:30 am

Thk you Peter. With Finale 2005 I finally got Seville. I still have two questions for you :
1) What should I do not to loose it again when the demo is over ?
2) How to you manage to modify the diagrams when you do not find the right one ?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:45 pm

Anonymous wrote:1) What should I do not to loose it again when the demo is over ?
What do you mean by "when the demo is over"?
It is true that some demos are a fully functional copy that ceases to function after 30 days, but that's not the case with the Finale demo.
The Finale demo can't print, and you can only print the first page of a document.
But you can keep the demo as long as you wish.
Besides, you don't have to use the demo ever.
The Seville font will work in Word and in all other programs, even if you never use the Finale demo.
In case you need hard disk space, you can erase the demo without erasing the fonts.

Anonymous wrote:2) How do you manage to modify the diagrams when you do not find the right one ?
Are you sure you can't find the right one?
There are about 175 diagrams in Seville.
You can only "modify" the font characters with a font editor.
Usually a font editor is an expensive program, so instead I suggest that you build your own diagrams in a graphics program.
Seville contains all the "bricks" you need to build your own diagrams.
The empty diagram, e. g., is at #95, and the dot is at #96.

Peter