Staff Labels lost

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HeartofTexas
Finale Version: 27.4.1.110
Operating System: Windows

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm

Not sure when this happened, but at some point in editing and saving a score, all of the staff labels were lost or deleted. Tried to recreate them using both the Score Manager and the Staff Tool. I can get the text box but it is empty and no matter what I try I cannot get access to the box to enter anything. It appears empty. I had the Font set to Finale Jazz Text Lowercase and at one point it worked well. Couldn't find a thread like this one. Has anyone any idea why this happened, or better how to fix it? Yes, the only character left is a flat symbol for the Trumpets.
Attachments
Lost Staff Labels SA Rose.JPG
Finale 26.3.1.520; Win 10; GPO5

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Is it possible that in Staff Attributes the box got un-clicked for Staff Names in Score?

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 pm

Time is a great teacher. I did figure out how to "see" the label data in the text boxes for Staff Labels. As first discussed, labels are gone. Under the Staff Tool, right click on the handle for your label and select Edit Full Staff Name (or whatever label you are editing). A text box appears and is empty. You cannot see a cursor blinking in the box. You cannot place a cursor in the box either. The Edit Box appears inert or dysfunctional. To fix, first Press <CTRL-A> to highlight all text data that might be in the box but is not seeable. Do not skip this <CTRL-A> step. At the Edit Text Box, go to Text-Font option. Select Font, and then select your expected Font (mine was Finale Jazz Text Lowercase). Edit Text Box then re-appears and should have the text of your old staff labels now visible in the Font and size you have selected. Your missing text has re-appeared and can be edited further now that you can see it.

The question I cannot answer is how did this happen in the first place? I do not recall resetting Fonts anywhere in Document Options or under the Staff Tool. Somehow I created a conflicted Font issue that made the text data un-seeable, except for the flat symbol. Any ideas, so I can avoid doing this again, would be appreciated.

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:43 pm

Bill: I don't think so, but here's a pic of the Attributes listing.
Attachments
Lost Staff Labels SA Rose2.JPG

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm

According to your forum user Profile you are using Finale v26 - right?

As Bill Stevens points out, a possible culprit could be the Staff Attributes (in the Staff Tool).
Staff Attributes work “horizontally”, through all the measures in that staff.
(Consider using the plug-in Global Staff Attributes)

Even if it is not the culprit, also take a look in the Measure Attributes (in the Measure Tool).
The option is “Show Full Staff & Group Names”.
Measure Attributes work “vertically”, through all the staves in that measure.

By The Way:
Take a look in the Staff menu - the menu has some options for Staff Names.

If all attempts fail, then attach a (small) Finale sample document here, for the gurus to examine.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm

Peter:

Thank you for such a complete review of staff label controls. I will check all of them out today. I did fall behind in my profile description. I am on Finale 27.4.1.110 and have updated that. Does that change any of your suggestions?

I was able to recover the "missing", actually, not "seen" labels. If I figure out how it happened, I will post the answer to the board.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 pm

HeartofTexas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm
… I am on Finale 27.4.1.110 and have updated that …
Yes, I can see that you have updated your Profile (shown to the right of your posts).

You also have a forum user Signature (shown below your posts …).
;-)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996