Strange spacing between voices?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:09 pm

I've never seen this before, and the voices are far enough away from each other that this should be needed. Image

Usually the beats are properly aligned unless something is a second apart from another voice. Not when they're a third or fourth apart.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 6:14 pm

You mean layers, not voices, and that this should not be needed, I think. It looks like layer 2 is offset everywhere by a tiny amount. I assume you've respaced. If so, can you attach your file exhibiting the problem? It only needs to be a few measures.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:21 pm

Oops, yeah, you're right. I don't know why I said voices...I've only come across voices once in 20 years, and I don't even know how to get back into the voices tools without looking it up!

But yeah, this file is incredibly small, anyway. So here it is.
Attachments
Hymn469.musx
(140.41 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:30 pm

Also, the only thing I think that could have happened here, was that I started entering layer 1 notes into layer 2, and when I caught it (on page 2), I just finished it out and used the move/copy layers tool to put them in their right place. The stem directions were all wonky (which, again, is something that I've never seen before; usually fixing the layers the program knows exactly what to do with the stems), but I ended up clearing all data except notes and smart shapes to fix that issue. Spacing, however, was not fixed.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 6:30 pm

Well, that's bizarre. It seems to be only second trombone, second baritone, and cello (which can't play below a C, by the way). I will continue to explore.
Attachments
Image1.png

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:38 pm

Yeah, it was in the trombone voice I did it. Baritone and cello were copied over.

Yeah, I'm torn about that cello part. I know it's out of range, and I know they meant it to be a bass part on the bottom, but we all know bass transposition, too. I'm probably going to just clear out that bottom octave. Honestly, this is for a church gig I'm playing at, and I'm tired of getting a 4-page score to play bass on and try to read that mess on a single stand. So this one's KINDA a freebie. :lol:

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 6:45 pm

Go to Document Options/Music Spacing, and set Manual Positioning to Clear. Then select all in the Selection tool and respace. Then set Manual Spacing back to Ignore. (Whatever that means--I've never understood that setting.) This must have happened as you were entering those parts, but I couldn't say exactly what you did to cause it.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 pm

Cello and bass were commonly written on once staff in older music. It's assumed that the bass will sound an octave lower. Bass players will just take the notes beyond their range up an octave.

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:51 pm

motet wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 6:45 pm
Go to Document Options/Music Spacing, and set Manual Positioning to Clear. Then select all in the Selection tool and respace. Then set Manual Spacing back to Ignore. (Whatever that means--I've never understood that setting.) This must have happened as you were entering those parts, but I couldn't say exactly what you did to cause it.
That did the trick! Thanks!
motet wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 6:46 pm
Cello and bass were commonly written on once staff in older music. It's assumed that the bass will sound an octave lower. Bass players will just take the notes beyond their range up an octave.
Yeah, it's these pesky church composers who never understand the the rules or the history. The copyist in me wants to make it look identical to the original. To be honest, I don't know why they have the score and not the parts, but making parts for everyone is a good lunch break for me.