Adjusting measure width

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

samsonwilliams
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by samsonwilliams » Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 am

Whenever I'm editing to part and I manually change the width of a measure, I save my changes. But whenever I open the part again the measure width changes have reverted to the way they were before I made my changes. Is there a way to save the measure width changes so that they remain as I changed them?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 22, 2024 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum!

Please specify the steps you’ve already taken (to solve the problem), so that we can rule out things.
With so little info from you we can only guess.

Try this:

Document menu > Document Options > Multimeasure Rests
De-select the option
Update Automatically

The option {Update Automatically} is useful in the initial phase when you enter the music via Scroll View.
As you enter music into empty measures, the option {Update Automatically} will break multimeasure rests where you enter music.
At the same time {Update Automatically} will reset to the defaults the widths of all measures (not only multimeasure rests).

But now you are in the final phase where the music has been entered, and you are working on the layout - and you do not need the option {Update Automatically}.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Thu May 23, 2024 5:20 pm

If you are talking about measures (not multimeasure rests) the culprit most likely is that Automatic music spacing isn't turned off. Preferences > Edit > deselect Automatic Music Spacing.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 23, 2024 6:04 pm

Such tweaking of measure widths or manual spacing is best done at the very end, after you are through adding music. Then you can turn off Automatic Update Layout and the Multimeasure Rests setting prior to tweaking.