A Possible Flaw In Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

artist
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by artist » Sun May 26, 2024 3:22 pm

This issue is related to the Transposition All Keys Proportionally function. With my experience with Finale so far, this works fine with scores that has all major keys or minor keys. But I ran into this issue when I tried to transpose a score that has major and minor keys. In the attached score, the interval between the last note of measure 36 and first note of measure 37 is one whole note. See what happens to measure 36 and 37 when you transpose 19th measure to - say E major. And 37 measure is changed from a minor key to a major key. But this doesn’t happen if you do a key change at measure 30.

Is it possible I am not doing something correctly? I think I am not doing anything wrong here. I think this is a flaw in Finale.
Attachments
autumn.musx
(134.4 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun May 26, 2024 3:49 pm

I think you're right that Finale is wrong here (I've never used Transpose All Key Proportionally myself). In my opinion Minor Key is best avoided in setting up key signatures. It can cause other problems as well--unnecessary key-cancelling accidentals at key changes is one, as shown below. I use Major Key everywhere--use the relative major in the dialog.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only advantage I see to using Minor Key might be some enharmonic choices Finale might make with MIDI input; you might even be able to get around that by setting up the spelling tables.
Attachments
0730.png
0730.png (72.31 KiB) Viewed 199 times