Can All Ped Articulations be Replaced with Ped Expressions?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BurtGoldstein
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BurtGoldstein » Sun May 26, 2024 7:03 pm

Hi,
I opened an ancient document and found I had entered all piano Ped markings as articulations. (I can only hope I had a good reason - perhaps to achieve more stable and accurate positioning?)

Now I want to use only Ped expression markings - largely because they have playback controls and i now use NotePerformer playback for help when proofing.

Is there a finalescript or lua plugin for this - can't find one.

Or beter yet, a way to do it in Finale?

After all, one can easily delete all instances of an Expression and replace it with another in Finale.
Last edited by BurtGoldstein on Mon May 27, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun May 26, 2024 7:25 pm

I'm surprised that Note Performer doesn't do the correct thing with articulations pedal markings.

BurtGoldstein
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BurtGoldstein » Mon May 27, 2024 1:57 pm

Sorry I was misleading: I meant I knew Ped Expressions were read by Note Performer (which is new to me). And I didn't know if Ped articulations (which only exist in my very old mus files) would be read by NP. And I wanted all my documents to be consistent with ach other in this regard, partly so I could use the triangle-baseline alignment tool.

I am not sure how FGarritan or other libraries handle the Ped release asterisk articulation symbol. The asterisk symbol can't be set to release the Sust ped, since there are only 4 options for the "Playback Effect" popdown menu in the Articulation Definition window: None, Change attack, change duration, change duration, change key velocity,

However now I am trying the line tool - I can make Ped-* pairs that line up in one click-drag - and MP plays those as well...