8vb for only one layer

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Lennart
Finale Version: 2012c
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lennart » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm

In one staff, how can I make an 8vb only affect one voice out of two. I have created two layers, yes, I have then used the 8va sign in the smart shape palette, for sure, but both layers were pitched down... and then I have created an 8vb with the expression tool, pitched it down through the text expression designer's "play back" (-12) and then assigned it to the layer I want to be affected (i.e. to the note I want to be pitched down), and finally then through the text expression designer I have chosen it to only affect that particular layer - but both layers were pitched down.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:02 am

I suppose that this issue is a playback issue only, not a layout issue?

In this example let's say that the two voices are two violin parts notated in the same staff.

In layer 1, create a new instrument and call it, say, Violin I. Assign it to Channel 1 and the GM Violin Patch 41.
In layer 2, create a new instrument and call it Violin II. Assign it to the same channel and the same patch.
Repeat for layer 3 and 4 if needed.

Now, when you assign the expression to layer 1, it will only affect layer 1. Even though the channel is the same, by creating a new instrument in the instrument list, the playback result can be isolated to that layer.

Just by creating a new instrument name, yet keeping the same channel, one can isolate playback commands via expressions.
That way you can limit the number of MIDI channels used up for other instruments.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Lennart

Post by Lennart » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:30 am

Peter, thanks a lot. I will look into this.

Lennart

Lennart

Post by Lennart » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:05 pm

Yes, Peter. It worked. Excellent. Thanks!

/Lennart