Libraries

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cefuhrmann

Post by cefuhrmann » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:42 am

My publisher would like me to use libraries rather than creating terms over and over again for individual files. This makes sense!

However, while I understand how to import existing libraries into a document, how do I actually create a master library that I import into a document?

Also, once I create that library, can I keep adding to it as I find new items I must create?

And, if I already created an item within one document, what will happen when I import a library with that same item in it? Will it use the library, or will I need to erase the item and then put it back in using the new library?

Thanks!
Chris

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:40 pm

cefuhrmann wrote:how do I actually create a master library that I import into a document?
The File menu has "load library" and "save library". Suppose you want to create an expressions library. In a document, create and organize the expressions the way you like, then save that as a library under a name that you can find in the future.
Then, load that library into the Finale default files, and into your templates.
You may have to first delete the contents of the existing the library, because in some cases, the library just adds itself at the bottom of the existing one.
cefuhrmann wrote:Also, once I create that library, can I keep adding to it as I find new items I must create?
After you have made additions to your document (and current library), reorganize them, delete the unnecessary ones and again, save the library under the same name, and again, reload it into your default files and templates.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:45 pm

cefuhrmann wrote:...while I understand how to import existing libraries into a document, how do I actually create a master library that I import into a document?...
In this example let's say that you want to create a chord suffix library:

1) Create a document with the chord suffixes (and fretboard diagrams) you want.

2) Delete from the document all the chord suffixes you don't want in the library.

3) File menu > Save Library...
In the dialog box "Save Library", choose "Chords & Fretboards".

cefuhrmann wrote:...Also, once I create that library, can I keep adding to it as I find new items I must create?...
To add new items to a library:

1) Create a new "Document Without Libraries".
Load the library into the document.

2) Add to the document the new items you want to add to the library.

3) File menu > Save library...

cefuhrmann wrote:...if I already created an item within one document, what will happen when I import a library with that same item in it? Will it use the library, or will I need to erase the item and then put it back in using the new library?...
I don't understand the question.
Please explain.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:38 am

cefuhrmann wrote:And, if I already created an item within one document, what will happen when I import a library with that same item in it? Will it use the library, or will I need to erase the item and then put it back in using the new library?
It will be twice in your document.

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10