Drum set play back is driving me NUTS

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MusicMan714

Post by MusicMan714 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:29 pm

When I am arranging a big band piece, I always have a percussion staff for the Drum Set. When I first set up the document it plays back fine, but without warning it will start playing back with the sound of the Piano and no matter what I do to the Instrument List, it still sounds like a piano.

Help

MusicMan714
Finale 2007 :(

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:33 pm

A couple of things to check :
- Make sure each instrument is set to his own midi channel. Drums is usually set to 10. In the instrument list window, create as many "new instrument(s)" as you need, each one with a different midi channel and sound patch.
- Check the box "Send patches before play"
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

MusicMan714

Post by MusicMan714 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 am

I went to open the file and sure enough. it was sounding like a drum, but when I started to use Speed Entry it sounded like a piano and it plays like a piano. I check the instrument list and everything was set correctly. I shut down the program and reopen it and it sounds like a drum again.

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:55 am

Does this happen with any file or just one in particular? If it's just this file, have you checked whether any expressions are programmed to send patch change commands? With my MIDI card, channel 10 changes from percussion to any other instrument, usually piano, if it receives an MSB code.

It's also possible there is hidden MIDI data in the file. You can check this by going into Playback Settings >Playback Options and unchecking the four boxes, particularly "Continous Data". Do this before using Speedy or beginning playback (i.e. while you're hearing drum sounds) and then you can check if it changes.

If you can post your file (zip it first) I can take a look at it if you like.