Inconsistent Music Size in a Score - Weird Page Layout

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

The Dude Abides

Post by The Dude Abides » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 am

Greetings,

I'm having a score problem regarding unequal music size. In an orchestral score I'm working on, I have the Page Size set to 100% for the entire piece yet in the first 22 systems the music is incredibly small, and then in systems 23-55 the music appears to be at 100%. What is especially confounding is the fact that the size changes in the middle of the page - the top half of the page in question is teeny tiny and the bottom half changes to a normal size.

Has anyone dealt with this before? A conductor friend worked on the parts when the piece was premiered and I'm wondering if perhaps it has something to do with changing the Page Size . . . ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 pm

This often happens when the score extends to extra pages. Finale disregards your early entry, and adds pages at the program default. Use the Percentage Tool/Resize System to get everything back to normal.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Better still, find Page Format (Score) in the Document menu and set the page size, zoom percentages and margins etc you want for the whole score. There are a lot of settings to play with.

Now go to Page Layout tool > Page Layout menu and choose Redefine Pages and choose All pages. Now all pages will be identical, with special settings for page 1, and if you add further pages they will inherit the same settings.

Before moving on, look carefully through each page of the score and if you're not happy you can Edit > Undo (Ctrl-Z), change the settings and try again. You don't really need to Undo, but I like doing it to get back to where I was before.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Have you tried Page Layout Tool-menu->Redefine pages->all pages.
This applies the values defined in Page format->score.
Update : I see that peterqd posted the same answer a minute earlier
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

The Dude Abides

Post by The Dude Abides » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks guys! The Redefine Pages option under Page Layout fixed everything in one click. Strange, I'd never encountered this before . . .

Many thanks,
Kurt