Lost file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Silver

Post by Silver » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:04 pm

I have Finale 2010a, use it to write songs. I have a song file that seems to have completely disappeared; it was not not deleted, but can't be retreived. I've every search method that I know. I have Windows Vista. Any ideas?
Silver

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:07 am

Have you actually looked in your folders and not just done a search? Perhaps you accidentally named it something unusual by mistake, or accidentally added a letter to the .mus extenision, giving it a .musa or .mu extension or something. Have you tried looking in the recent files list? It might show there if it was recent enough. Perhaps you moved it, but have forgotten that you did, or where you moved it to, and therefor you aren't looking in the right places. If you have Finale set to make automatic backups, then you should be able to find a backup file at least. Look for the .bak extension. Same goes for the AutoSave function. Look for the .asv extension. Or perhaps you renamed or moved the folder where you saved the file. Are you logged on as the same user as when you created the file? I don't think that Vista will let you look at other users' files, even though you are the same flesh and blood user. Or any combination of the above possibilities.

Warren Barnett

Silver

Post by Silver » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Warren:
Thanks very much for your help! You were right; I had not looked in my folders, only done a search. I found the song, and have learned a lesson from this. I also was not aware of the automatic save feature.
Silver

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Maybe now is the time to consider a frequent, systematic and multiple backup policy, on an external hard disk, USB flash drive, CDR, and on distant web servers...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua