jazz drumset part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

crevetts

Post by crevetts » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi guys--I searched for a while to see if this question had been recently addressed but didn't find anything--sorry if I'm repeating one.

I'm still using Finale2005, although I've been on Finale since 1992. I've never found a way to notate horn hits above a drum staff that already fills the measure with slashes.

I've done Staff Styles to create the slash notation and that of course wipes out any notes you may have entered, even in other layers. I want to see rhythms written above that slash measure. What's the solution to this?

I'll be very grateful to anyone who can help me.

Thanks!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:09 pm

crevetts wrote:I've done Staff Styles to create the slash notation and that of course wipes out any notes you may have entered, even in other layers.
Not necessarily. If your staff style, in its alternate notation window, has marks on the checkboxes "show items in other layers", "show items attached to notes in other layers", then slash notation can coexist with normal notation entered in another layer.
So, modify your staff style, or better, create a new one with these characteristics.
And save it as a library to use it in future documents (load it into you default files and templates).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

crevetts

Post by crevetts » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 pm

Michel--that's an easy fix. Thanks so much! I should've read the fine print years ago!

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:05 am

also check this thread

http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/viewt ... e+notation

i use this method after dropping a horn line onto the drumset staff

i also do the following in this order

1. drop horn line to drumset track
2. single pitch (G5) - plug-in menu
3. freeze stems up
4. move rests up (6) - plug-in menu
5. change notehead size 65%
6. slash notation to layer 4 - staff style

that's it

i got all of this from this forum. i just can't find all of the threads at the moment

ron

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm