page layout in pdf file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 am

I am trying to create a .pdf file for one of my scores. I choose print and then the Adobe PDF printer, but when the document is converted into a .pdf file, the bars are no longer as I had positioned them to avoid page turns. When I go back to the Finale .mus file, I find that the bar positioning has changed also there.

This problem may well be due to the Adobe PDF printer, but someone out there might have found themselves in a similar quandry and could possibly help me.

Florio

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 am

Maybe you should begin with fixing things in the Finale document itself, because I doubt that the pdf conversion can move measures.
When you are happy with the layout in Finale, use "update layout", then select the contents of the score and lock it (ctrl-L on a PC or Cmd-L on a Mac).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:38 am

Thanks for your reply, Michelp.
The Finale .mus file was (at least I thought so!!) complete and finalised, and so I was surprised to see that the .pdf file had altered the bar positioning. I'll do as you suggest (update layout and lock) and let you know how I get on...
Florio

Florio

Post by Florio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:43 am

When I update the layout, the bar positions change and actually correspond to those in the .pdf file. I just tried locking without the layout update, but the .pdf file once again changes the bar positions. It almost seems as if Finale doesn't want to save my page layout as I have set it out.
For the record, I'm using Finale 2008
Florio

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 am

Lock first (select a region first, then Ctrl-L or Cmd-L), then apply update layout, it will just rearrange the music within the locked setup.
Maybe you could also take a look at Program options->Edit->Music Spacing and Update Layout, where you can try several options (you probably should prefer "maintain systems locks" I suppose).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua