Quarter tones question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Hello,

I got two problems with quarter tones: I used the key signature tool to define quartertones and their correct symbols.
I wrote down the score in concert pitch, but when I go back to normal pitch, the transpositions do not work correctly. For example an eb becomes an f with quarternote down, if I choose "chromatic, two steps and 0 alterations up" as transposition.
I now know that there are other, better tricks to use quarter tones, but it's too late now, it would cost very much time to rework the whole score...
Is there any way to make the transposition work?

My other problem is that Finale doesn't play the quarter notes. A quarter step up or down sounds like a natural.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English!

Ralph

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm

ralphb wrote:...I got two problems with quarter tones: I used the key signature tool to define quartertones and their correct symbols.
I wrote down the score in concert pitch, but when I go back to normal pitch, the transpositions do not work correctly. For example an eb becomes an f with quarternote down, if I choose "chromatic, two steps and 0 alterations up" as transposition.
I now know that there are other, better tricks to use quarter tones, but it's too late now, it would cost very much time to rework the whole score...
Is there any way to make the transposition work?

My other problem is that Finale doesn't play the quarter notes. A quarter step up or down sounds like a natural...
I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
It sounds like you are using a quartertone key signature.

1) To get the transposition correct you must double the number of steps, since a quartertone key signature divides the octave into 24 steps.
Example: 1 whole-step = 4 quarter-steps
You may also have to Retranscribe the music (MIDI/Audio menu).

2) The bad news:
To get correct playback of a "24 steps" quartertone key signature without reworking the whole score you can't use the internal playback software, since those sounds are created for a standard "12 steps" key signature.
Instead, use an external playback MIDI module that is capable of dividing the octave into 24 steps.

It's too late now, since it would cost very much time to rework the whole score, I know, but to use the internal playback software for quartertone playback the only solution is to use a standard "12 steps" key signature, and create the quartertone playback by means of "Pitchwheel" expressions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ralphb

Post by ralphb » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi,

I think you unterstand me correctly. The problem is, that in the transposition settings I can only define "interval" and "alteration". An interval of "2" still seems to be two half steps, but as it's based on the 7-tone-scale, the tones "b" and "e" become wrong (being transposed up 3 quarter steps, e.g. b with quarter step down becomes c natural).

The playback problem I can live with...

Thank you!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 am

Silly me!

I wrote:

"To get the transposition correct you must double the number of steps, since a quartertone key signature divides the octave into 24 steps.
Example: 1 whole-step = 4 quarter-steps
You may also have to Retranscribe the music (MIDI/Audio menu)."

It's not Retranscribe (in the MIDI/Audio menu), but rather Respell Notes (in the Utilities menu).

To clarify:

You must double the transposition interval.

If e. g. it's a part for Clarinet in A, you would normally set the transposition interval to a minor third (Interval: 3 ; Alteration: -1).
In Other Words: 3 halfsteps.

Instead, set the interval to a tritonus.
In Other Words: 6 halfsteps.

In the quartertone key signature 6 halfsteps will become 6 quartersteps.

When you have de-selected "Display in Concert Pitch", you should Respell Notes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996