Accidentals not displaying in Finale 2007

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hbeere

Post by hbeere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Since Finale 2007 came out, I've had this ongoing problem, and I have yet to find this particular issue discussed elsewhere . . .

I don't know how, but occasionally accidentals will simply NOT display unless I force them to show (using the * key in speedy entry or otherwise). Finale will play it back correctly regardless, so I will often not even notice the problem until parts are printed and the players play the incorrect pitches.

I've tried many ways of solving this issue. I've highlighted the measures and used "Utilities -> check accidentals" and nothing will happen. I've used the plugin in Canonic Utilities "clear frozen accidentals" and nothing happens. I've also tried the two above in combination (first clearing, then checking) all to no avail.

I've also (in canonic Utilities) done "show all accidentals" and the accidentals in question will show . . . which is nice, except that there will also be gobs of unnecessary naturals, repeated accidentals, etc. After showing accidentals, I will then (still in canonic utilities) apply "clear frozen accidentals", but then all the accidentals that appeared previously will disappear, including the one(s) that SHOULD be displayed ANYHOW.

And yes, even after doing the above, I've then tried to "check accidentals", and still . . . nothing.

This problem is NOTE specific, not measure specific. For example, I'm having this issue now in a cello part where the pitches are as follows: B, A, B, G#, C#, D#. Finale won't display the G# and the D#. In this case, also, the C# (which displays correctly) and D# (which doesn't) occupy the same measure.

Of course, if I knew WHERE these errors occurred, I could fix them easily. That's no problem. What's infinitely frustrating about this problem is that I have no idea WHERE else in the piece this is happening. Why would I force accidentals to show when I don't even realize that the accidental is suppose to be there? This is made more difficult by the fact that I'm writing atonal music, so there's no proper reference to a "key." What I want is a global function that will fix this stuff where ever it might be.

Other than FORCING the accidentals to show, the following is the only solution I've found to this problem . . . which I still don't like much: I must highlight a block of measures (say that are spelled predominantly in sharps), select "favor flats", apply "respell notes", (at this point the above G# that did not display WILL display correctly as Ab), then select "favor sharps", then apply "respell notes" again. Everything will then show correctly.

Of course, this solution ***, for obvious reasons that I won't go into because this post is getting way too long already.

Last thing: please note I'm talking about NORMAL accidentals, not cautionaries, not parenthesis, none of that. Furthermore, I don't know WHY this happens AT ALL. It is very occasional, although this tends to happen at least a few times in every piece I write.

Has anyone else ever seen this issue before? More importantly, have you then SOLVED this issue in a practical way? Thanks!!!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

the only comment I have is that from what I have read, 2007 seems to be the "problem child" of the more recent releases. Would an upgrade be a conceivable move?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 pm

For your info : several users have reported that, for some strange reason, "check accidentals" works more reliably if you apply "check ties" first ! (Select a region first).
Lost accidentals are still occasionally present in Finale, even in the more recent versions, with tied notes, or when you change/insert notes or rests.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

hbeere

Post by hbeere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 pm

miker wrote:the only comment I have is that from what I have read, 2007 seems to be the "problem child" of the more recent releases. Would an upgrade be a conceivable move?
I was afraid of that suggestion. I'd hope to find a solution within 2007, mostly because the school I'm at switched over to Sibelius completely, so the only version of Finale the computer labs have is 2007 and they won't upgrade Finale anymore. If I upgraded, I would not be able to use the computer lab to compose (which I like to do, given their huge monitors, nice midi keyboards, etc).

Seems like silly reason, perhaps, but I do my best composing at school in the lab. Home has way too many distractions. Thanks for your input, though.

hbeere

Post by hbeere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 pm

michelp wrote:For your info : several users have reported that, for some strange reason, "check accidentals" works more reliably if you apply "check ties" first ! (Select a region first).
Lost accidentals are still occasionally present in Finale, even in the more recent versions, with tied notes, or when you change/insert notes or rests.
WOW! Blows my mind . . . your suggestion works completely. I first have to "check ties", and once that is done, "check accidentals" reveals all of the missing accidentals.

I can't believe how much grief this bug has caused me. Thank you thank you for solving this once and for all!