Hide in score not in parts?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicnerd

Post by musicnerd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:48 pm

How you do hide things on the score and still make them appear in the parts, like cue notes? Let's say I want to pass 2 measures from the Viola to the Bass right before he starts playing. This cue shouldn't appear on the score but only on the Bass part.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Use staff styles.
Staff styles can be different between score and linked parts.

In Other Words:
You can use a staff style in the score to hide the cue notes in the score.
In Finale 2010 you can specify that the staff style should be applied to the score only.

In earlier versions you can apply the staff style to the score, and then go to the part, and remove the staff style from the part.
This is because (in earlier versions of Finale) a staff style edit applied to the score automatically is transferred to the parts, while a staff style edit applied to a part isn't transferred to the score.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

musicnerd

Post by musicnerd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:39 pm

But which of the available Staff Styles can do "hide in score, show in parts" feature? The list I have is full of pointless Staff Styles... at least none of the names point to the result I'm looking for and I tried a few :?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Cue notes created with a plugin are placed in Layer 4.
In Finale 2010, you can apply to the score (and to the score only) the staff style "Blank notation with rests, Layer 4".
PS : please add to you signature a description of the software, OS, hardware you are using.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua