Script for drum - ques

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

erikeilert
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by erikeilert » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:54 am

Hi!

Can anybody help me with this issue?

I want to put brass ques in the drum set part, like a classic bigband chart, and I wonder if a script would do this much easier. I have never worked with script before.

This is what I would like the script to do.

1) Copy music from e.g a trumpet staff, paste as layer 4 in drum set staff (with percussion clef, and this staff in non-transposeable, right?)

2) Move all the notes to e.g staff position 11 (top of the upper line).

3) Force stem direction UP.

4) Change ties to OVER.

5) Move rests (in layer 4) UP 6 steps. (But NOT create moveable (real) rests in empty measures)

6) Finaly, add a custom staff - style, e.g one-bar repeat that shows only layer 4.

All this I manage to do manually, but it takes some time. My knowledge in Finale Script is poor, so I would be very happy if someone could come up with some tips about this issue.

Erik

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome to the forum!

1) You might get better help by asking in MakeMusic’s forum for FinaleScript (remove the spaces from the URL):

forum . makemusic . com / default . aspx?f=12

2) A such compound action as the one you describe, might be simpler to do with Jari Williamson’ new
Lua-Script.
The JW Lua Wiki is available at (remove the spaces from the URL)

jwmusic . nu / jwplugins / wiki / doku . php?id=jw_lua

where you can find sample scripts, info about the mailing list and other stuff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:34 pm

If you are not familiar with Scripts, JW Lua might be a bit scary.
You could try (if you have the "full" Finale, 2010 at least) the plug-in JW Change (to be installed, check the website finaletips.nu).
Some of the actions you describe (certainly steps 3, 4 & 5) can be done without leaving the plug-in, and even better, grouped in a 1 click sequence which can be stored in memory. That would save you some time.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

erikeilert
Finale Version: 26

Post by erikeilert » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys! I will check out those JW plugins!

Erik