A question about plugins

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Coryphodon
Finale Version: 2010
Operating System: Mac

Post by Coryphodon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Hello,
I am debatting whether I should download shareware by Jari Williamsson at no cost or if I should bite the bullet and buy a set of plugins by Robert Patterson’s collection, or the TG Tools set, which require the latest versions of Finale. I am using Finale 2010 under Windows, which I believe to be outdated for the latter plugins.
In particular, I need to include tremolos in my compositions and so far, it has been quite difficult (but not impossible) to write such figures without these applications.
Thanks for your input

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:46 pm

If you are using Finale 2010, then you should already have the Tremolo plug-in.

In my own copy of Finale 2010:

Plug-In menu > TGTools > Easy Tremolos…

NB:
The subfolder with TGTools only contains a “Lite” set of the TGTools plug-in collection.

One of the limitations are exactly in the Easy Tremolos plug-in.
In the “Lite” version you get for free with Finale, you do not have the option of tremolos in the “french” style where only the primary beam touches the stems.

To get “french” style tremolos, first run the Easy Tremolos plug-in, and then shorten the stems “manually” with the Special Tools Tool sub-tool Beam Extension Tool.
Double-click a handle, select all beams, and de-select the primary beam (= the 8th note beam) before you extend the beams inwards.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:03 pm

JW plug-ins are free, and they are fantastic. Don't hesitate, get them ! Some of them are unique and great time-savers !
JW Change, JW Staff Polyphony, JW Pattern, JW Accidentals, JW Meter and Rhythm (to name a few) etc… have become a must (for me at least !). And most of them require Finale 2010 or more recent, so you should be ok.
About tremolos : there is JW Yada Yada Tremolos, which mainly adjusts/corrects the positioning of tremolos on the stems.

TGTools (full) has some nice functions, too (a.o. Tremolos, which is a more elaborate version of Easy Tremolos), and it is always good to have them, too.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Keep in mind that, although Jari offers his fantastic plug-ins at no charge, donations are accepted.

If you find that they are as helpful as we have, please make that donation!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Coryphodon
Finale Version: 2010

Post by Coryphodon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check it out