cannot change barline

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Hello,

has anyone ever had problems with changing the barlines, as in some of them (not all) simply won't change using Measure Tool? I have a double barline which I would like to change to a normal single barline, but nothing seems to work. I tried selecting larger area, even adjusting settings in Document Options for a double barline at the key change (although there is no key change) and nothing seems to work.

Surely, I could insert a new empty bar which isn't included in measure numbering and minimize its width to zero, but if anyone happens to know what might be causing this, I'd like to try to solve it first.

Thank you in advance.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 pm

If you have multiple measure number regions and have unchecked "include in measure numbering" in some of them, Finale will get confused. If that's the case, go to Preferences/View and select Display Actual Measure Numbers long enough to set your barlines.

Actually, all you need to do is to instead change the barline by right-clicking from the Selection tool--it seems to bypass that bug regardless of the View setting.

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25

Post by Slavicek » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 pm

It worked nicely and smoothly, thank you very much, motet. I didn't know about this workaround and began to question my own basic notation skills, as something so elementary didn't work. I'd surely wish Finale wouldn't get confused with such things, but I guess it's a cross we all need to bear.

Thanks once more.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm

It's a terrible bug, and has been around for several years. Worrisome that they can't seem to fix it.