Rolled chords too slow in HP

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gareth Green » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Can anyone help with this, or tell me what I am missing, please?

I have a project requiring a demo backing track, and I am having problems with rolled chords - as it stands. the playback of the rolled chords is too slow. As I understand it, I can use the settings in the articulation definition dialogue to control the speed of the playback for the rolled chord articulation marking, but in order for this to take effect, Human Playback has to be set to "off". I have experimented with this, and it does indeed work. But I don't want to turn HP off, because too many other elements are dependent on it for satisfactory playback, and I can't find any setting in HP that controls the speed of the rolled chord playback.

Any ideas, please?

TIA, as always,

Gareth
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 pm

You shouldn't have to turn off HP. The custom settings should be honored by HP. However, there might be something in your file different from my test file.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Gareth Green

Post by Gareth Green » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm

From the user manual: (My highlights) [http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... d%20chords]

"To define a rolled chord marking for playback
Human Playback interprets and performs roll articulations during playback automatically. To hear manual changes to the MIDI playback definition of rolled chords (such as those described in this section), you must first set Human Playback to None in the Playback Settings dialog box.

Click the rolled chord. A square handle appears at the top and bottom of the marking.
Double-click a handle. The Artciulation Designer dialog box appears.
Choose Playback Effect > Change Attack. Enter 0 as the Top Note Value, and –256 as the Bottom Note Value. The Top Note Value and Bottom Note Value define how the chord is rolled. The units are 1024ths of a quarter note; thus, a negative Bottom Note Value tells Finale to strike the bottom note slightly before the beat during playback. The attacks of any chord notes between the top and bottom notes are scaled proportionally between the Top Note Value and Bottom Note Value, producing a true rolled chord sound. (You may also wish to select Values Are Percentages, which lets you enter percentages into these text boxes; 100% would equal the value of whatever note the marking is attached to.)
If you want the chord rolled from top to bottom, enter the negative number as the Top Note Value, and zero as the Bottom Note Value. (If you enter zero as the Bottom Note Value and a positive Top Note Value, the upper chord notes will be struck late—in other words, the chord roll will begin on the beat.)

Press ENTER twice to exit the dialog boxes."

As I said, I can make the adjustments as described in the Articulation Designer Dialogue, but they don't take effect unless HP is set to "None". Are you saying this works differently for you?
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 pm

Let's start with this file. It shows what I mean when using MIDI. When playing with VST, it still respects the speed setttings, but not all the notes sustain. Garritan in VST is riddled with problems, aside from the simplest of notation.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:05 am

Further examination: it's not Garritan. It's VST. If I choose the Softsynth in the VST, that also cuts off notes as it rolls. So, playback through MIDI? Beautiful and proper.

Zuill

Gareth Green

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 am

Sorry Zuill; appreciate your time and effort, but this doesn't work for me. Changing playback to MID/Softsynth results in the same effect: Rolled chords play back properly with HP off, but incorrectly with HP on. And I lose the Garritan sounds and the softsynth sounds are dire ...
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

Gareth Green

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:14 am

OK, I have a solution, of sorts. It turns out that the slow playback of rolls is something to do with the "Romantic" style of HP. changing HP to "Standard" removes the problem.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10