Divisi slur

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:05 am

Hi all,
In a choir score, the soprani start in unison (on one stave), then at bar three they divide into two staves. Everything is under one slur... How do I carry over the slur into the lower divisi staff? Do I start the lower divisi staff's slur as a straight line and curve it normally at its end?

Cheerio,
Hector.

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am

Hector Pascal wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:05 am
Hi all,
In a choir score, the soprani start in unison (on one stave), then at bar three they divide into two staves. Everything is under one slur... How do I carry over the slur into the lower divisi staff? Do I start the lower divisi staff's slur as a straight line and curve it normally at its end?

Cheerio,
Hector.
Is it a notation q, or Finale q?
Generally (the old way of engraving) you have to make it "divisi" at the start of the system, and all have their own legato.
If you don't want that, make slurs in the added divisi to look like they are continuation from the staff above.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 pm

Thanks, OCTO, that answers my question.
Cheerio,
H.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:56 pm

You can launch 2 slurs from the previous staff, and have one terminate on the upper staff and one on the lower staff. I'm guessing both staves will also be in the linked part, so you will have both slurs there as well. You'll have to make sure the split starts at the beginning of a system in the part as well.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."