Musescore 3.6

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:48 pm

I always try new music notation programs if they have a demo version or in this case are totally free. Right from the start let me say Musescore never was nor is this new version equal to Finale. However, it has some nice features I like and wish Finale had. It still causes me to wonder if MM is asleep at the wheel on new Finale upgrades.

Being able to move around in the score with just the mouse is really nice. A thumb shot of all your template files is also good. Sound playback is horrible.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:55 pm

I use MuseScore with students who can't afford Finale. It is much more powerful than any free version MakeMusic had. If I need to convert to Finale, that can be done through xml export. Not perfect, but useful in many situations.

Finale is quite a bit more powerful, but the big push with MuseScore is to greatly upgrade features in the near future. Let's see what happens.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Sample score I did in Musescore. You don't have much control over music spacing. The export graphics works great. Everything here is the defaults.
sample.png
It has a piano keyboard at the bottom of the screen that lets you select the pitch of a note. You then use the keypad, just like Finale, to set the time value of the note. For piano players it works pretty good.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:02 pm

I use MuseScore with students who can't afford Finale.
That's a great idea. I was going to delete Musescore after I tested it out but I may keep it and offer it to some kids I know.

I do hope MM is looking in the rear view mirror because objects are larger than they appear! :shock: