Finale crashing but recovery okay

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

xxrich
Operating System: Windows

Post by xxrich » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:28 am

So I have not researched if this is common or not right now with the current release. But I have a rather large score and Finale crashes every hour or so - only to recover itself perfectly (thank you much!). I don't know what further details to provide. It is a timing thing that happens when I change note durations within a measure. But so far mostly unpredictable. Anyone else?
-rich

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:27 pm

I occasionally get the restart and recovery, which is sure nice to have. I also have Autosave set for every 5 minutes, just in case. Sometimes one of the JW plugins is involved. That is a known and longstanding issue. I have a habit of closing Finale regularly and then reopening. I have found in the past that leaving Finale on for long periods has issues. Also, for big projects, I save a new version at various stages. For example, I input notes. Then I save as version one. Then I add markings, save as version 2. Then add lyrics, save as version three. Then format linked parts, save as version four, and so on. That way, if a crash doesn't recover properly, I have at least a major step in the project saved to go back to.

I don't always know the cause of the crashes I've had. They are few and far between. When I am working quickly, I think, that may be a trigger. In other words, toggling quickly between tools, or something of that sort. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always try to take note of that which I was doing when a crash occurs.

One more thing: I have a designated folder for the tmp files which Finale needs for a file, but no longer needs after a file is closed. I clean that folder out every day or two, when Finale is not open, of course.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

xxrich

Post by xxrich » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Wow, tmp files - never thought to look at that. And I had a zillion of them! Also a good reminder to see what and where I have things set.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:07 pm

The Finale tmp files start with "fin", then a number, then .tmp. Are those the ones you are seeing?

Zuill

Alex Rockwell
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520

Post by Alex Rockwell » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:17 pm

This happens to me every so often, and it seems to occur when I try and work too fast, especially when copying and pasting of measures is involved.

I'm just guessing here, but it almost seems like it's bottlenecking. On a recent project, I could get it to happen if I pasted a measure and right clicked on it before my cursor stopped displaying as an hourglass. It's like Finale was still processing the paste action and couldn't handle the right click, so it just crashed.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 pm

My only crashes are either with JW plug-ins or playback.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Motet,

With playback, are you talking about crashing, or hanging with HP processing?

Zuill

xxrich

Post by xxrich » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:49 pm

Yes, fin* files. A "zuillion" of them :-)

So thinking on it more, it's been crashing when I'm in simple note edit changing a tuplet to not be a tuplet :-) (on midi file import I sometimes get these falsely interpreted entities). It does not like it sometimes when more beats (temporarily) end up in a measure during this process.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:29 pm

zuill wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:32 pm
Motet,

With playback, are you talking about crashing, or hanging with HP processing?

Zuill
I don't use HP. Very occasionally when I use playback Finale crashes, but I can't characterize it further, alas.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:45 pm

xxrich wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:49 pm
Yes, fin* files. A "zuillion" of them.
I'm not surprised this is causing Finale to crash. Whoever programmed the temporary file handling in Finale was in over their head.

If you're using Finale's default for your temp directory, the OS should be taking care of cleaning them up for you. If you've set up a custom temp directory, you must regularly clean it out manually. I've found that especially when working with linked parts, Finale leaves lots of temp files when you exit the program.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:05 pm

Boy I guess I am the lucky one. I haven't had a Finale crash of more than once in the past year or so. I have left it running for days sometimes, too. My scores rarely exceed 100 measures with concert band instrumentation. So, not huge files maybe that's something.
I also use a purpose Finale temp folder that seems to keep itself clear.

I do have one strange behavior on my new laptop. Sometimes it says it can't load the 2012 Converter. Sometimes it does. MM tech says its a permission thing and has me jump through hoops to resolve it but it persists regardless.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.