the key of just one part "got changed"

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jasmine123
Finale Version: PC 2003a

Post by Jasmine123 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:46 pm

In the score of a big-band piece, the key of just one part "got changed" to a key that is different from the key of the piece, and I don't know how it happened. I have copied excerpts from one part in the score to another, using the Mass Edit tool, so the key change may be due to this.

I would like to find out how to change the key of just one part in a "Jazz Band" document, created from a Jazz Band.ftm document.
Common sense is as rare as genius.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Which instrument is it and in which key is the piece ?
First thing to check is what are the staff attributes for that staff, in particular which instrument, and which transposition is being used.
Check if the transposition is what it should be, and compare the score with "display in concert pitch" selected or not, in particular with the identical instruments on their own staves.
Copying regions is maybe easier to verify if you do it from concert pitch to concert pitch view. You'll see the correct pitches (concert) and the transposition will remain unchanged after copying and pasting.
But you can also copy and paste between staves in transposed view, it works fine. Pitches will be correct, too, and correct transposition taken into consideration.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Jasmine123
Finale Version: PC 2003a

Post by Jasmine123 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:43 am

The transposition box in Staff Attributes was not checked. I set the transposition to a Major 2nd higher, and that fixed the problem!
Common sense is as rare as genius.