Cues for single line stave part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:14 pm

I'm currently doing the single line stave percussion part for a theatrical piece of mine. Possibly unwisely (or not) I'm providing the cues on a separate five-line, reduced-size cue-stave which is 'cut' when not in use. This has been a bit more fiddly that I expected, as can perhaps be seen from the screenshot.

One irritating thing was that I couldn't find an easy way (but maybe there is one which has escaped me) to lower as a block all the numbers for multimeasure rests to suit the single line stave for just this part, rather than for all the parts. As a result I'm having to edit each individual multimeasure rest one by one in the percussion part for the whole 70 minute, 1,317 bar, 139 rehearsal mark piece. Easy, but a little tedious.

Although most of the piece is without key signatures, there are some set pieces which do have them (the principal characters include a role to be taken by a Scottish traditional singer and the ostensible style of much of her solo music reflects this). I gaily thought that for a situation like the one shown I could use the measure tool while working on the part to select ‘always show key signature’ for a bar such as the one beginning the cue here. Unfortunately that meant that the key signature showed in this bar in all the other parts as well. Luckily using the measure tool to add space at the beginning of the bar seems to apply only to the part on which one is actually working, allowing one the space for a text expression for the key signature sharp (or whatever). I also used text expressions for the backwards extension of the stave (by keying ‘=’ in the chosen music font) and for the clef that I've place on that extension.

Am I making this unnecessarily complicated? (So I know for another time, I've nearly finished this part now so will persevere.)

Totally off topic, but I've had a pine marten galloping about my lawn just outside my kitchen window. It's lucky I no longer keep hens! (By the time I'd found my iPhone and turned it on, the pine marten had gone, so no photograph.)
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 19.30.43 copy.jpg
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 am

Have I been making this too complicated?

For example, is there an automatic setting one can apply so that the vertical position of the numbers on multimeasure rests of single-line stave parts is different from those of five-line stave ones in the same set of linked parts? Better still, can one apply these different vertical position settings by region when a part contains both single and five line staves (or on different staves in a percussion score)?

This part has been taking a bit longer than the others in the same piece, so I suspect I may prefer not to do it this way again (unless I can find more automation).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Could you turn the single line into a five-line staff with a staff style where you want a cue?

David Ward

Post by David Ward » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm

motet wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:59 pm
Could you turn the single line into a five-line staff with a staff style where you want a cue?
That probably would have been the simpler (and more orthodox) way of going about it.

I did look at that briefly, but then I thought I'd try what I've now done. If I have time, I may do a second version of the part the more usual way (which I think might still have its passing problems).

It is unusual (at least for me) in that although the percussion part is both substantial and important (eg it helps the chorus with some necessarily exact rhythmic repetitions of mantras & slogans), it only uses two instruments through the 70 minute piece, Snare Drum and Large Suspended Cymbal (with various sticks).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 pm

I always use a 5-line staff for percussion, though I typically have more than one instrument on the staff. I know it's old-fashioned, but players are used to it.