Edit Frame dialog not reachable Finale 27?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

TonyEastwood
Finale Version: 27.0.0708
Operating System: Windows

Post by TonyEastwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:48 pm

In Finale 27.0.0.708 I don't seem to have any method of getting to the 'Edit Frame dialog' - control click in speedy entry does nothing. (I have tried many times- and even <alt>-click, double click etc)

Is there any alternative mechanism for reaching this dialog ? (I rarely need to get there but when I do it is essential as otherwise notes are missing in playback)

In the past I got to 'Edit Frame dialog' quite easily. . . .
compostions at https://guitarcompositions.wordpress.com/

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:51 pm

Don't know whether it will help, but the latest version is 27.1.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 pm

That would be terrible if they broke it. Have you rebooted? The next thing to try would be regenerating your Preferences file:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:35 pm

This works on the Mac. Are you being sure to click to remove the Speedy Frame?

::: Bill

Choose the Speedy Entry tool icon.
Click outside or between staves to remove the Speedy Entry Frame.
OPTION+click a measure that contains music.
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

TonyEastwood

Post by TonyEastwood » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Thank you for the helpful replies.

After upgrading to 27.1 I can now get to the 'Edit Frame dialog' for one bar ( that is one stave in a system with two staves) . But not for any other bars at all (aghh!).

I haven't done 'Regenerating the Preferences' because I have many non default set up options and its tied to a macro keyboard via AHK. Getting back to usable system after 'Regenerating the Preferences' is a mammoth destabilizing task. For the time being its much easier to simply re-input corrupted bars and Ive got an awful lot of music to write. . . .

I'll just keep re-inputting where necessary. . .

I'm not sure if restarting Finale it will let me select 'Edit Frame dialog' for some other bar as I have found another bug - which is that Finale takes 90+ seconds to start (I joke not) but then runs normally. I will enter that as another issue .

motet

Post by motet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:46 pm

TonyEastwood wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:07 pm
...I can now get to the 'Edit Frame dialog' for one bar ( that is one stave in a system with two staves)...
Which is it, one bar or one staff? The measure needs to have something it it or it's not a "frame," by the way.

As Bill Stevens says, make sure Speedy entry's "frame" (different frame) is not active in some measure when you try the Ctrl-click.

I use Autohotkey, and in fact have an elaborate setup involving Bome's MIDI translator as well, and the Finale preferences don't really come into play. But you could at least try an experiment. With Finale not running, find finale.ini and rename it. Then run Finale--it will make a new finale.ini; see if that solves the problem. If so, then you can recustomize your set-up (as I said, it might not be as bad as you fear). If not, quit Finale, delete finale.ini, and rename your saved copy back to finale.ini.
Last edited by motet on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyEastwood

Post by TonyEastwood » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:29 pm

RE: Which is it, one bar or one staff?

Ah. It works for only one measure (one bar) on one of the staffs. ( Its a guitar duet.) I can't get 'Edit Frame dialog' to appear for the other guitar part (or any other measures of either part . . . ) .

All the measures I've tried have notes in them - often in two to three layers.

motet

Post by motet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:48 pm

I would try the preferences experiment, then. If it doesn't fix it, it's easy to get your preferences back. If it does, then you can weigh how mammoth an undertaking it really is to redo your settings versus living without Edit Frame.

If you kept your old preferences when you upgraded to Finale 27, that might explain the problem.

Also look at the JW Change plug-in. That can tweak most of the bits you can tweak using Edit Frame, including playback. (It's mysterious that you have to use Edit Frame to get some notes to play back, though. I've never heard of that.)