Mixed languages bug in the plug-ins menu

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tomas E
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Tomas E » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:05 pm

I'm having an issue that now - after quite a lot communication with the support - is (or is about to be) considered a bug in Finale 27 by MakeMusic. That is I'm having mixed languages in the plug-ins menus. At first MakeMusic thought it was related to my Swedish Windows version. But after going through a step by step checkup they came to the conclusion that it's probably some kind of bug. I use the English version of Finale and not the Swedish one.

mixed language issue.gif
mixed language issue.gif (33.92 KiB) Viewed 2685 times

Does anyone else, with a Windows version other than English in combination with the English version of Finale have this issue?

Also, in the menu below there are 19 plug-ins despite that the Finale 27 plug-ins folder only contains 11. This seemed to be the thing that convinced them.

19 plugins menu.gif
Windows 11, Finale 27.4.1

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:40 pm

Did you ever install a Swedish demo (of the same version) at some point ?
Finale is not a multilingual app, so I would assume that the Swedish menu items do not come from built-in Swedish code, but from another Finale application (in Swedish), and not from Windows.
I have the experience (but on a Mac) of installing a demo in French, of the same Finale version I had in English, and the plug-in menu became a mess. I deleted both Finale applications and reinstalled Finale in English, which solved the problem.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:17 am

michelp wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:40 pm
Did you ever install a Swedish demo (of the same version) at some point ?
Finale is not a multilingual app, so I would assume that the Swedish menu items do not come from built-in Swedish code, but from another Finale application (in Swedish), and not from Windows.
I have the experience (but on a Mac) of installing a demo in French, of the same Finale version I had in English, and the plug-in menu became a mess. I deleted both Finale applications and reinstalled Finale in English, which solved the problem.
To my knowledge I've never used a Swedish version on this computer, since years ago I found it difficult to discuss about the app when you have to translate every command to English. In any case there's only one version installed at this point.

At first I thought the issue was a result of using Swedish during installation so I contacted the support. They lead me through the steps to completely remove Finale and reinstalling it. In conjunction with that I chose to delete v.25. So there shouldn't be any leftovers interfering.

The folders Document Styles, Default Files, Templates and Libraries @ User\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale was not removed however. That's good since if you have your own templates they can be used by later versions. When reinstalling I used English language during the process, no difference.

Often included in their standard procedure is also to create a new admin account to see if an issue is there or not. It's the same with a new account as well.

michelp

Post by michelp » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:38 am

Very strange, if no Swedish version (demo) was never installed.
Did you check your plug-in folder, to see if there are any Swedish files in it ?
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:26 pm

I suspect you are not truly removing everything. You can uninstall Finale in the Start menu and in Settings using the Windows uninstall, but that process often leaves behind leftovers, files, folders and/or Registry entries that can mess up things.

This is why you may want to use a third-party uninstaller, which can fully wipe out entire applications and leave no traces behind. Put the files or folders you want to keep on a thumb drive or external backup source. You need to get back to a truly "clean slate".
Last edited by ebiggs1 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:27 pm

michelp wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:38 am
Very strange, if no Swedish version (demo) was never installed.
Did you check your plug-in folder, to see if there are any Swedish files in it ?
Yes I did. There are no Swedish files, only English ones.

Plug-ins folder.gif

michelp

Post by michelp » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:32 pm

Another idea (in the dark...) : it could be that the Folder that Finale is pointing to is not this one. Check in Preferences -> Folders -> Plug-ins.
Michel

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:56 pm

I have the same issue. And when checking the folders in Preferences it looks like they are the right ones. In the corresponding Plugins folder in the Program files everything is in English, but when I open the Plugins menu in the program a number of items are in Swedish. Not bad Swedish, but inconvenient all the same since when I work with Finale, I have the English part of my brain switched on.

I had this problem with v26. When upgrading to v27 it seems to have been inherited from the former version. I think I always chose English as installation language, so where does this come from? A kind of Swedish nationalist hacker mafia? (Just a joke.)
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:56 pm
I have the same issue. And when checking the folders in Preferences it looks like they are the right ones. In the corresponding Plugins folder in the Program files everything is in English, but when I open the Plugins menu in the program a number of items are in Swedish. Not bad Swedish, but inconvenient all the same since when I work with Finale, I have the English part of my brain switched on.

I had this problem with v26. When upgrading to v27 it seems to have been inherited from the former version. I think I always chose English as installation language, so where does this come from? A kind of Swedish nationalist hacker mafia? (Just a joke.)
Thanks Anders! Good to know! I didn't feel like going through the whole removing/installing process once more.

Have you informed the MakeMusic support team about it? It would be good if they knew that at least a couple of Swedish users are having the same issue.

Tomas E

Post by Tomas E » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:49 pm

It's still there. But at least this menu is all Swedish now. :lol:

plugin menu.png

TG Tools menu is all English.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4