Extracted Parts or Linked Parts?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ian Stewart
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Ian Stewart » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:18 pm

I can't seem to get on with linked parts and I am going to try extracted parts again with a new work. Does anyone else find linked parts inconvenient to use? Making adjustments or adding text to linked parts are two things I find more difficult.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
Patterson Plug-Ins/TGTools
Garritan COMB/Personal Orchestra 5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:36 pm

The challenge is having the score appear one way and the parts another. It depends what you mean by "making adjustments." Most changes to a part will affect only the part, not the score. But adding a text block to a part does mean you have to do something to keep it from appearing in the score.

The disadvantages to extracting are of course obvious--you wind up with a bunch of files, and if you find you need to fix an error, you need to remember to do it in (at least) two places. If, after extracting, you want to change a tempo mark, say, or a font or font size, something that affects everything, then you would be faced with changing every file, which is not only tedious but error-prone.

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:22 pm

I seem to have the most success by getting my score as correct as possible, then making a duplicate of it and re-naming the duplicate compositionPARTS_SCORE.musx

There are so many things that I want/need to do to the parts (Cues, for one) that altering/hiding things in the Conductor's Score is not worth it in the long run. Yes, if I find an error or want to change something, I do have to separately go back into the Conductor's score, but it's usually minor and I can get right back to working on my parts. And I don't have to care how the score to the PARTS_SCORE looks; I'm not printing it.

That's just how I roll. Somebody else here probably has better ideas, or is way more efficient than me.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

motet

Post by motet » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:59 pm

That's a good compromise.

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:24 pm

Good points Motet, with linked parts there isn't a folder full of extra files and you can't accidentally erase a bar.

I'm going to try your suggestion Thomsmit57. I don't like the orange dynamics on the score because I changed it in a linked part - your method is a good compromise as said. The conductors score can look exactly right.

I don't think my brain was designed to extract parts, linked or otherwise. Just now I have generated linked parts and there are 30 systems on a page, all overlapping and a completely unreadable mess. I am going to have to resort to reading the manual in detail.
Last edited by Ian Stewart on Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:53 pm

I have not used extract parts since Finale made linked parts a thing.

I, too, sometimes made a copy of my score for the parts. I even do label it as Score_Parts. I have even made a third copy Score_SoundNP3. :wink: The problem here is like extracted parts, you have to remember to go back and make the same edit in each file.

I have mostly stopped doing that since Perfect Layout has come on the scene. For me, PL makes an extremely nice looking score with no special effort on my end. Composing and/or arranging in scrollview.
Jan at PL is also working on making the linked parts "perfect". Before the haters start, yes, I know it isn't there yet but I wouldn't bet against Jan making good if it is possible with Finale. Maybe it never will with the limitation Finale has on linked parts. We'll see.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:59 pm

I am going to have to resort to reading the manual in detail.
Ian,
If you are not setting up your linked parts in Documents>Manage Parts>Part Creation Preferences>Page Format for Parts, you need to do this first before you generate parts. Also check Edit>Preferences>Edit as these settings will affect the music, too. Hope this helps.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

motet

Post by motet » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:08 pm

The default page format should be fine--did you change it? If you are finished entering your music, go to Documents/Manage Parts/Generate Parts to start over with the parts.

The orange indications that the object is unlinked are there to help you--they will print black. But if they really bother you, you can change their color in Preferences. I don't recommend it.

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:33 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:08 pm
The default page format should be fine--did you change it?
I use my own settings for page format as I do most other things - such as slurs, beams etc.

Thanks for the instructions on changing the colour. I don't look at the duplicate score as opposed to the conductor score (PARTS_SCORE as Thomsmit57 and Ebiggs1 suggested). However I use Patterson Henle Beams in the score but have to redo them in the parts. They then change to orange, which is not a problem, but it is good to be able to turn the orange off when the parts are finished.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

motet

Post by motet » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:10 pm

Ian Stewart wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:24 pm
Just now I have generated linked parts and there are 30 systems on a page, all overlapping and a completely unreadable mess.
I use my own settings for page format...
Your own settings are likely the problem. If you want to upload your file here, someone can probably figure out what's wrong.

Be sure "Automatic Update Layout" is on. If not, turn it on and leave it on--contrary to rumor, it's not something power users (or anybody) should do.

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks Motet. I extracted a section of the file to upload and the generate parts command worked properly. I then went back to the original complete file and again everything worked properly; early afternoon today it did not. Tomorrow I shall extract parts from a copy of the score and see if the problem has resolved itself.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

KennethKen
Finale Version: 26.1

Post by KennethKen » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:41 am

I haven't extracted parts in years. I'm mostly working on orchestral and band scores.

I simply duplicate staves in my score that "will have issues" and use them for the linked parts and then hide those staves in the score. It's quite easy and allows for very quick edits and everything in a single file.

For example, if I have Clarinet 1 & 2 sharing a stave, I would -
  • create two clarinet staves below the Clarinet 1 & 2 stave
  • use TGTools/Smart Explosion of multi-part staves to copy the two parts onto their separate staves
  • scroll through the score to make sure everything exploded correctly and add any cues or whatever to those staves
  • work on formatting the linked parts from these extra staves
  • finally, hide the individual Clarinet 1 and Clarinet 2 staves in the score
Easy-peesy. I can change or add anything to the extra staves or make quick edits without having to open multiple files.

Ken

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:38 pm

Ken,
That is an interesting idea. It is really not any different then those of us that do the Score file and a Score_Parts file. I can see where each way has its good points and some not so good.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:13 pm

The "good"s are a single file, and you can have both copies right next to each other for easy comparison. The only "bad"s I can see are having to hide staves in the score, and I guess having to suppress playback, which strike me as not big deal. Or am I missing something?

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:32 pm

The "bad's" are mostly simply remembering. But that is true for both ways. You have to remember to fix both files in the two parts system. You need to remember playback and printing for example in a single file. I would certainly give the single file a try. I am not a big fan, although I have done it, putting 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd parts on the same staff.

When I do two seperate files they are the very last thing so edits are at a minimum. However, when you get to my age you seem to always find that something you want to change. So, I usually do have to do a minor edit to the two files! I know it lights you guys up when I mention it but Perfect Layout has been a game changer for me. I also can't imagine using Finale with out JW Change and JW Polyphony.
So glad the latter two have been embraced by MM for update and inclusion in the 27.3 release.

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:52 pm

I have extracted the parts from a PARTS_SCORE copy of the conductor's score and everything seems to be working fine. Although the parts look usable I spend a lot of time improving the layout and positioning of various expressions; there is also odd strange slur and crescendo marks which suddenly appear above the stave. Often I change the number of bars per system, both increasing or decreasing the number.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

KennethKen
Finale Version: 26.1

Post by KennethKen » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:22 pm

Having everything in one file just makes my life much simpler - especially for large band scores where I used to end up with 35+ files. Just changing the copyright notice or something simple like a font attribute of certain text was a tedious chore.

Hiding the staves I don't want to appear in the score is just a matter of checking a single checkbox in the stave's Staff Attributes DBX.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:40 pm

Using two Finale files, one for the conductor's score and one for parts is a really good system; it's just taking me time to get used to changing the linked parts in the Parts score, not the conductor's score.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz