Slash notation lost when parts extracted

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Don Jordan
Finale Version: Finale 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by Don Jordan » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:17 am

When I create a jazz score and use lots of slash notation and bar repeats in rhythm section parts and jazz solo parts, on extracting parts the slash notation is largely missing. I then have to go through all those parts and put the slashes in again multiple times for each score. I've had to do this for years and I'm finally sick of it. Why does this occur, and what can I do about it, please?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:30 am

1) I wonder why you are using extracted parts.
You can not use the linked parts?

2)Before you extracted parts, did you examine the linked parts?
You can not avoid linked parts - since the extracted parts are created from the linked parts.

3) Regarding your staff style problem:
Staff Tool > Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Score and Parts…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:45 pm

Also, if you use Metatools to enter the Staff Styles, they will automatically appear in the score and parts.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:57 pm

I've had to do this for years and I'm finally sick of it.
Don,
Can you explain exactly how you create your slash notation? There is a Parts and Score and a Score Only and Parts Only setting when using Staff Styles.

If you are using Utilities>Change>Noteheads>Large Slash or Small Slash, it should show up that way in your linked parts. Does it not? It's been so long since I have used Extracted parts but I believe they behave the exact same way. Slashed should be there.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:35 pm

It can happen that a staff style, although applied to score and parts, is absent in the parts (Check Document -> Edit Part to verify).
Go to the score, select the region (or the whole piece) and in the Staff menu, select :
Use Selected Staff Styles for Score and Parts.
The staff styles will now be present in the parts.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:34 pm

michelp wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:35 pm
The staff styles will now be present in the parts.
Provided they haven't been extracted, of course. Once extracted, you're SOL.

michelp

Post by michelp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:57 pm

Absolutely. That's why I wrote "Document -> Check Edit Part to verify", assuming that the verification (and correction) takes place before any part extraction (if he choses to use that procedure).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:08 pm

I've now written two responses, and got the "you need to log in" message each time after I've pressed Submit. I can't do it again.

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:34 am

In the previous attempts to answer, it seems that there is a time limit by which typing must be complete and Submit pressed. What is it, and why is it there? Can I change it?

I'm just going to submit one bit of reply at a time because of this. My apologies.

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:39 am

For slash and repeat notation I've been using:
Staff Tool
For one bar, right click on it and select .01 Slash Notation from dropdown menu.
For several consecutive bars, select bars and right click on first bar and select .01 Slash Notation

The same for .07 One-bar Repeat or other requirement.

I see that Peter Thomsen says Staff Tool > Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Score and Parts which brings up a box with 01. Slash Notation (S) and an OK and a Define button. Does this give the same result, or something different?

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:46 am

N. Grossingink says to use Metatools, but I don't understand these. I've looked at them in Help, as well as Staff Styles, but I find that, as in many software manuals, such as that for Finale and for video editing programs, they give complete information to suit the needs of every likely user, which results in too much information for me to take in.

I use these programs only occasionally, and in the gaps between using them I forget most of the techniques and it's like having to learn everything anew.

As my needs are specific and simple, once I've got the hang of what I need to do, I try to write myself a list of instructions that I can follow for next time. I haven't done one for Finale because I do use it more frequently than any other program, but I'm going to have to. Maybe it's age, but I don't like to admit that.

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:49 am

Extracting parts:

File > Extract Parts
Tick required parts (if not already ticked)
OK

Clicking on Manage Parts gives the list of Linked Parts, which is the same as on the score. What is it about Linked Parts that I'm not understanding?

michelp - what would I have not done to require me to select Use Selected Staff Styles for Score and Parts?

Using Document > Edit Part, what should I expect to see?

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:50 am

One more issue with this present score (it's happened sometimes before) is that the instrument name is not on the part. 'Score' appears instead. How do I stop this happening?

Thank you all very much.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:27 am

To apply slash notation with a metatool: in the staff tool, select the region you want to be slash notation, then press S.

http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... taff_Style

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:26 am

Don Jordan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:39 am
For slash and repeat notation I've been using:
Staff Tool
For one bar, right click on it and select .01 Slash Notation from dropdown menu.
For several consecutive bars, select bars and right click on first bar and select .01 Slash Notation

The same for .07 One-Bar Repeat or other requirement.

I see that Peter Thomsen says Staff Tool > Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Score and Parts which brings up a box with 01. Slash Notation (S) and an OK and a Define button. Does this give the same result, or something different?

Don Jordan,

I am not sure what you mean by your words “same result”, but (in Apply Staff Style To > Score and Parts…) choosing Slash Notation will give the result that the staff style Slash Notation has been applied to both the score and the linked part.

On The Other Hand, clicking the Define button will not give the result that the Slash Notation staff style has been applied to the score and the linked part.

Instead you will get another result, namely the dialog box Staff Styles where you can edit the already existing staff styles, or create new, custom staff styles.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 am

Don Jordan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:49 am
… Clicking on Manage Parts gives the list of Linked Parts, which is the same as on the score. What is it about Linked Parts that I'm not understanding? …
Indeed clicking on Manage Parts gives the list of (the already generated) Linked Parts.

The list will be the same as on the score if and only if Linked Parts have been generated for all the parts in the score.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:43 am

Don Jordan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:49 am
… Using Document > Edit Part, what should I expect to see?
You should expect to see a sub-menu.
At the top of the sub-menu Edit Part you should see a list of the already generated Linked Parts.

Below the list you should see the menu commands (with keyboard shortcuts)
Next Part
Previous Part
Last Viewed Part

You can view/edit each and every Linked Part via
Document menu > Edit Parts > (Part Name)

michelp

Post by michelp » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:15 pm

Don Jordan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:50 am
One more issue with this present score (it's happened sometimes before) is that the instrument name is not on the part. 'Score' appears instead. How do I stop this happening?
1) in the ScoreManager -> File info, the score name should have "Score"
2) To get the instruments names (as defined in the Score Manager) to display in each part :
Text tool.Create a text in the score, then in the text menu -> Inserts, select Part/Score Name.
This text will be "Score" in the score, and the instrument's name in each part.

You can also define a page range, etc...
Last edited by michelp on Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michel

motet

Post by motet » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:56 pm

If you extract the part, it will be the "score." Another reason to use linked parts and not extract.

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:49 pm

Thanks again, people. I do appreciate your replies.

However, I think I have just discovered that Finale produces complete parts that need no editing. I didn't know this. I must have wasted thousands of hours over the past 30 years. I thought it was intuitive to click Extract Parts, which then left me to input almost all the slash notations, the multi-measure rests, and so on. I just thought that's how it was. I have no-one to talk to about how they use the program, so I didn't know there were questions to ask.

Please, would someone give me a list of steps to take, starting with a completed score and finishing with parts that I can print and can be played from?

As you can imagine, I'm confused by all the talk about linked parts and so on because I had no idea that these were things that were important. If I have a list to follow to get playable parts out, I can then begin to understand the process and make sense of it.

I would be so grateful for this.

motet

Post by motet » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:45 am

Don Jordan wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:49 pm
Finale produces complete parts that need no editing
If only! But I think your life will be much easier.

On the Document menu you'll find Edit Part; depending on how your file was created, all the parts may or may not be there. Manage Parts will let you create more if not. Generate Parts under Manage Parts will wipe the slate clean and make new parts, one for each staff or grand staff. Do this after you've entered all the notes into the score. You will probably need to edit each part just a little bit to make it look its best.

Once your parts look right, you can print parts from the Print dialog.

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:14 am

Thanks motet, but ...

"Depending on how your file was created" means what?

At present, I'm setting up a score for a big band arrangement. In "Manage Parts" the "Available Instruments" list contains all the instruments in the score. The "Linked Parts" list is missing a couple of them. (All the instruments in the score are listed in "Score Manager".)

I can use "> Add to Part" to move a missing instrument into the "Staves and Groups in Parts" list. How do I get it into the "Linked Parts" list, in the right place? The word "Part" seems to be used to mean different things in different places. What does "Add to Part" mean? I thought a part was one instrumental part, so how can something be added to it?

When I said "no editing", I meant that when I go to Document > Edit Part in a completed score and double left click on an instrument (the only way I can find to open an instrument part), a usable part appears which may need a little editing, but may be fine as is (although it has "Score" in place of the instrument name - can you tell me why, please?).

If I click on "Print" I see that the Score box is ticked but the instrument name is not. If I untick the Score box and tick the instrument name box, and press "Print" I get a printout of the part (again with 'Score' etc).

Clicking on 'Save as' the score name is given, not the instrument name. If I click 'Close' the whole score file closes. Why won't the instrument parts differentiate from the score?

It appears I'm no nearer understanding how to get a set of independent parts into the folder for that composition. This is why I asked for a list of the steps I need to take to achieve this. Could you do this for me, please?

Don Jordan

Post by Don Jordan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 am

michelp said:

1) in the ScoreManager -> File info, the score name should have "Score"
2) To get the instruments names (as defined in the Score Manager) to display in each part :
Create a text in the score, then in the text menu -> Inserts, select Part/Score Name.
This text will be "Score" in the score, and the instrument's name in each part.

What does "Create a text in the score" mean, please? How do I do that?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:21 pm

Don Jordan wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 am
… What does "Create a text in the score" mean, please? How do I do that?
Text Tool.
Double-click.
A text block appears where you double-clicked *) - with a blinker so that you can begin entering text.

When you have the blinker, you can use the Text menu’s sub-menu {Insert >} to insert various items, such as e. g. Part/Score Name.

Also, when a text block handle is selected, you can go this way:
Text menu > Edit Text… (or get there via the context menu in the text block handle)
You will get a window where you can edit the text block’s text.

When the text block handle is selected, you can also try
Edit Page Offset… (which shifts the page numbering)
Text menu > Standard Frame…
Text menu > Custom Frame…
Text menu > Frame Attributes…

Do not be afraid.
You will not damage the computer if you try the menu items.

*) You can double-click from Page View, or from Scroll View.
By default, a double-click from Page View will create a page attached text block (which most of the time will be what you need).
A double-click from Scroll View will by default create a measure/staff attached text block (which you will seldom need - mostly you will, as measure/staff attached text, need something else than a text block, e. g. an expression).

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:59 pm

Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.