Beam angle tool problem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:14 am

Hi all,
Sometimes the beam angle tool doesn't work when I have two windows open. No handles show up on the beams when clicking in a bar and the click makes text expressions suddenly enlarge. Strange.

Mac Fin 26.3.1.643. Maybe I need to update to the next version.

Any one else noticed this or know of a cause/fix?
Cheers,
Hector.

Djard
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:56 pm

If the issue does not appear in a new document, the cause may be file corruption. When I run into a problem caused by file corruption, I start a new document with the same parameters (time and key signatures etc.) then enter the notation. Then, with both documents open and tiled horizontally, I clear all the items in the problematic measure then copy & paste the new measure into the document. There might be a better solution, but this usually works for me. Another option might be to save the document as an XML then back to MUSX, to fix the formatting; but then the layout and articulations tend to require adjustment.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 am

Thanks very much, Djard, for your advice, which is much appreciated. I will see what I can do... The strange behaviour only presents itself when I have two windows open (of the same document). I tend to do that for comparing early and later sections of my score. Interesting that the file works normally if I use one window!
Thanks again for your help :)
Cheers,
HP.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:03 am

If it's the fact that it's two windows into the same file, instead make a copy of it so that it's two "different" files.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:33 am

It seems that shutting down my mac and starting it up this morning has solved the problem for the time being...!
PS: Thanks, motet, for that workaround. I hadn't thought of it!