Default font- create expression dialog

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SMS
Finale Version: 2012

Post by SMS » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:03 pm

How can I change the default font for the Miscellaneous category of text expressions?

Thanks
Finale 27.3
Mac OS 14
MacBook Pro 2023
M2 MAX
64 GB ram
4TB internal SSD

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:31 pm

-
Last edited by motet on Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm

SMS wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:03 pm
How can I change the default font for the Miscellaneous category of text expressions? …
In the Miscellaneous category you can have both text expressions and shape expressions.

There is no such thing as a separate Miscellaneous category of (only) text expressions.

I do not think that you can set a default font for the Miscellaneous category.

When expression categories were added to Finale (in Finale 2009), it was necessary - in Finale 2009 - to do something about opening older pre-2009 Finale documents with expressions in them.
The solution was the Miscellaneous category.
When older pre-2009 Finale documents were opened in Finale 2009, the file format was converted to the new Finale 2009 file format, and all expressions were put in the Miscellaneous category.

In Other Words:
You can consider the Miscellaneous category as the “non-category” category.
If you go to
Document menu > Category Designer
then you will see that the Miscellaneous category is not listed there.

When you create new expressions, you can use the Miscellaneous category, but you are not supposed to do so.
Instead, use another category - or create a new category, by duplicating and customizing an already existing category.
In a such custom category - created by duplicating an existing category - you can set default font.

NB:
When you create a new, custom category - by duplicating an existing category - then it does matter, which category you duplicate.
Some categories do not support Score Lists (instead they use Staff Assignment Lists).
The categories without Score Lists are
- Dynamics
- Expressive Text
- Technique Text
If you duplicate a category without Score Lists, then you will get new category without Score Lists.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SMS
Finale Version: 2012

Post by SMS » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:50 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm
SMS wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:03 pm
How can I change the default font for the Miscellaneous category of text expressions? …
I do not think that you can set a default font for the Miscellaneous category.
Right, but somehow the Miscellaneous category does have a default font; I never changed it, yet it's in the Jazz font which I'm trying to get away from using. I guess Finale doesn't provide a way to change it, probably buried in the prefs file somewhere-
It's more of a curiosity than anything, I assume I could rebuild my default template if I'm bored someday.

Thanks for the reply!
Finale 27.3
Mac OS 14
MacBook Pro 2023
M2 MAX
64 GB ram
4TB internal SSD