Writing Foreign Language on Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Katie
Finale Version: 2011 PC

Post by Katie » Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 am

I would like to write some foreign languages (Japanese and Chinese) on the Finale score, as titles, name of composers, lyrics and some instructions.

I prefer NOT to use inserts of pictures and other files such as Microsoft word. Is there any way?

I am using Finale 2011 PC.
Thanks!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 am

Finale 2012 introduced support for Unicode fonts, which opens the door to the use of "non-occidental" fonts. Maybe you should consider the upgrade...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 am

I can only agree with michelp.
With Finale 2012 you can use all characters in all Unicode fonts.

However, you can write Japanese and Chinese in Finale 2011 - by using the so called double-byte fonts (they are not Unicode fonts).
This means that you are limited to using certain fonts.

I am not sure how it is done in Windows.
In Mac OS X you choose a special keyboard layout for entering Japanese characters, or for entering Chinese characters.

If I Recall Correctly, in Windows you choose the right script in the Font dialog box.

Another option in Finale is to insert an EPS graphic into the Finale document.
Since EPS is postscript code, it will always print just as sharp and clear as font characters.
Note, however, that the EPS will display a bitmap preview image on the computer screen.
So there may be a big quality difference between the screen and the print - What You See Is Not What You Get.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

atrampas
Finale Version: 25

Post by atrampas » Sun May 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi, I have a weird problem with the Lyric tool in finale 25.
I was writing lyrics in Greek until yesterday, and today without quitting the program, it decided to stop showing the greek letters in the lyrics, but started showing boxes with question marks instead. In the text tool, I am able to use greek.

I tried changing the font from the menu, but nothing changed. I have restarted, cleaned up the fonts cache through terminal etc., but it persists.

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks
A.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun May 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Can you post the file, so we can have a look?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

atrampas wrote:I was writing lyrics in Greek until yesterday, and today without quitting the program, it decided to stop showing the greek letters in the lyrics, but started showing boxes with question marks instead. In the text tool, I am able to use greek.
Are you using different fonts for lyrics and text boxes? Does the lyric font contain Greek characters?

In Finale Preferences > Edit, do you have "Substitute Font For Missing Unicode Characters" checked, or unchecked?

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Did you upgrade your OS recently? If so, to what (exact version, please—it makes a difference)?
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

atrampas

Post by atrampas » Sun May 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Update:

I changed the lyric font to Arial and I was able to see lyrics in Greek normally. The default font "Finale Lyrics" just stopped working in Greek. It shows boxes with question marks instead.

I did not make any update to my OS, unless if something got updated automatically and without my knowledge, but I have disabled automatic updates in general. My current OS is El Capitan 10.11.6.

I used to use Finale Lyrics for lyrics, and, with the exception of chords, I use whatever the defaults are for everything else. I did not have the "Substitute Font For Missing Unicode Characters" box checked. I will try and see if it makes any difference.

Thank you all for your help. Will post as soon as I have news.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 am

My version of Finale Lyrics doesn't have Greek Characters. Maybe the Mac version does.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon May 14, 2018 2:07 pm

No, not on the Mac, either.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

atrampas

Post by atrampas » Tue May 15, 2018 11:24 am

I think this is what happened: Somehow the "Substitute Font For Missing Unicode Characters" box in preferences got unchecked.

Thank you everyone for your time and contributions. Now it works fine.

BuonTempi wrote:
atrampas wrote:I was writing lyrics in Greek until yesterday, and today without quitting the program, it decided to stop showing the greek letters in the lyrics, but started showing boxes with question marks instead. In the text tool, I am able to use greek.
Are you using different fonts for lyrics and text boxes? Does the lyric font contain Greek characters?

In Finale Preferences > Edit, do you have "Substitute Font For Missing Unicode Characters" checked, or unchecked?