Using text block in parts but not in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

maestroc

Post by maestroc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Is there a way to make a text block show up in the same place on all parts but not in the score?

Is there a way to just make the text block once and then copy it to all the parts in the same location on the page?

I'm basically making worksheets for multiple instruments and trying to make answer blanks using the underscores (_) in text blocks. The problem is that when I add one to a part it does not show up on the other parts but it does show up in the score... I guess I am just confused how the linking of text blocks works between parts in a single document.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 pm

maestroc wrote:Is there a way to make a text block show up in the same place on all parts but not in the score?…
Yes, it is possible.
But the way to do so depends on how you define "in the same place".

1) If you by "in the same place" mean on the same page (e. g. on the top of Page 3), then you should use a page attached text block. (Use the Text Tool)
If you enter the text block from Page View, then it will by default be page attached.

You can finetune a text block's precise position via the dialog box Frame Attributes.

2) If you by "in the same place" mean on the same measure (e. g. above Measure 29), then you should use an expression instead of a text block. (Use the Expression Tool)

(A text block can be measure/staff attached. If you enter the text block from Scroll View, then it will by default be measure/staff attached. But that will not work well here, since the text block will be attached to one specific staff.)

For the expression solution I suggest that you use the Category Designer to duplicate an existing category of the "Score List" type, and edit the duplicate category to give the new category the default settings you need (font, position, Score List, &c.).

3) You can make the text show in the parts, but hide in the score.
This is possible for both text blocks and expressions. (Use e. g. the context menu)

For a text block there is also the solution of having the text block show in both score and parts, but at a different position in the score, namely outside the right edge of the score page. In that way the text block won't print in the score.
To do so, hold down the Override key, and drag the text block outside the score page.
Because of the Override key the text block will stay put in the linked parts.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

maestroc

Post by maestroc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Excellent! Thank you for the help. One question though... What is the override key?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:51 pm

maestroc wrote:…What is the Override key?
Your question can be understood in two ways.
I shall be happy to give both answers:

1) Definition:
The Override key is the key you hold down to override the default positioning behaviour between score and linked parts.
The default behaviour is that a position change in the score is transferred to the linked parts (= the "positioning linking" is retained), whereas a position change in a linked part is not transferred to the score (= the "positioning linking" is broken - you will see a colour change on the screen).

To drag a text in the score without moving the text in the linked parts (= breaking the "positioning linking"), hold down the Override key while dragging.

To drag a text in a part, and at the same time move the text in the score (= without breaking the "positioning linking"), hold down the Override key while dragging.

2) Identification:
It depends.
Are you using Windows Finale or Mac Finale?

I am not sure about the Override key in Windows Finale - perhaps the Ctrl key?

In my own copy of Mac Finale 2012 the Override key is the Command key.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996