This should be so easy...as it is in sibelius!!!!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

drhandstand
Finale Version: 10
Operating System: Windows

Post by drhandstand » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 am

Using finale is staring to be like a game of chess..... you have to think 5 moves in advance and then, if you made a mistake in an earlier move, well, your stuffed!!!! I'm baffled at how something sooo easy in Sib is soo difficult in Finale!!!

Can some one enlighten me please before I have no hair left and go back to Sib.

I had half note 2 chords in 4/4 time.

I decided later that I want to make the 1st chord into 8th note arpeggios.

I was able to make the 1st chord into an 8th note but Finale moves the 2nd 1/2 note chord next to it... I can't move it back and I can't enter the 8th notes between it!!! absolutely very un intuitive!!!

Attached is an image with the 2nd bar being what I want to get to easily. I could NOT alter the 1st bar to get even close but had to make it in another bar and copy and paste. So Stupid!!!!
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-06-09 at 12.39.58 AM.png
Screen shot 2013-06-09 at 12.39.58 AM.png (17.04 KiB) Viewed 7811 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:48 am

Welcome to the forum!

What version of Finale are you using? - 2012? - 2011? - 2010? - 2009?

Windows Finale or Mac Finale?

What music entry method are you using?
- mouse, computer keyboard, MIDI keyboard?
- Speedy Entry, Simple Entry, Hyperscribe?

I attach a small tutorial that shows, how it can be done in {Speedy Entry with computer keyboard}.
Attachments
Arpeggio.pdf.zip
(67.38 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Let's see: you don't know how to do something, so the program is stupid?

I don't know Sibelius. The couple of times I've tried it, I didn't particularly like it, so I stayed with a program I had been using for years. In a similar situation, though, I would probably say, "could you help me, please? I don't get it."

Anyway, it wasn't hard, just took a few steps.

I deleted the rests at at the end of the measure.
Selected the first chord, and used CTRL+arrow to select the notes I wanted to remove, and deleted them one at a time.
Using the mouse, I clicked in the new eighth notes, and the eighth rest. (Actually, I just clicked in three, eighth notes, and tapped the R key to change the last one into the rest.)

If I had started with the half note chord, I would have just deleted it, and moused in the notes. I don't usually use the mouse for entry, but in this case, I think it's the easy way.

I assume you had your reasons for switching from Sibelius to Finale. Why not take time to learn how the program works, before condemning it? Do the tutorials, or at least, watch the videos. Next time you have a problem, and my crystal ball says that you will, come in politely, ask nicely, and we'll be glad to help.

Just for curiosity's sake, please describe the process in Sibelius.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

drhandstand

Post by drhandstand » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 pm

I still can't get this to work.
I use mac and have the latest version of Finale.

I switched over as someone I work with uses finale. Also, there was a very big discount coming from sibelius. I'm very seriously thinking of trashing finale though. Sibelius is far far from perfect also so I don't know. But this issue and a few other elementary things that are just so difficult and shouldn't be are making me think what is the point of learning finale

Sibelius is not perfect and actually, I've never been happy with it 100% either but this task in question is very easy in Sibelius.

I find Finale and sibelius very clunky to use with no user intuition. I've never been frustrated in programs such as pro tools and logic like I have been in Sib and Fin.

So, as mentioned, If i delete the rests at the end that finale (Stupidly) creates by shunting the 2nd 1/2 note to the created 1/8 note ( why doesn't it leave the 2nd 1/2 note in its place??? It's obvious I want to work on the first half of the bar) as soon as I select the beginning 1/8 note finale re-creates the rests again that I just tried to delete.

I've uploaded 2 vids. Sibelius and finale. In Sibelius I simply select the 1st 1/2 note and change it to an 1/8. The 2nd 1/2 note is left in its place and I simply add the new 1/8 notes on top of the rests. I can still see the 1st chord so I can also easily remember the notes I want and delete them in the chord later.

Can I do this this easily in Finale?
http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/%2Bp ... ac%2BVB1Pg

Here is the link for the vids

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 pm

drhandstand wrote:…Can I do this this easily in Finale?…
It depends on how you define "easily".

If you by "easily" mean "exactly in the same way as in Sibelius", then the answer is "no".
Finale works differently.

However, if you are willing to learn something new, then you will find that there are several easy ways to do it in Finale.

I agree with Mike that you should spend some time learning about Finale:
Do the tutorials, and watch the videos.

By The Way:
Did you study the mini-tutorial I attached to my previous post (post #2 from the top, just below your first post)?
I did not know what entry method you were using in Finale, so I just picked the entry method
{Speedy Entry with computer keyboard}.

Now I can see from your video that you in Finale are using Simple Entry with mouse.
You might be able to work faster in Finale if you take the time to learn some of Finale's many entry methods:
- mouse, computer keyboard, MIDI keyboard
- Speedy Entry, Simple Entry, Hyperscribe

Regarding your Finale video with Simple Entry and mouse.
In case you are in a hurry, and do not have the time to learn something new right now, here is a quick fix:
1) Simple menu > Simple Entry Options…
De-select the option "Fill With Rests at End of Measure".

drhandstand

Post by drhandstand » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I read the PDF but found it a little vague still.

Firstly, I can't get rid of those rests at the end like you have.

Secondly, in step 3...what is "clear" key???

Thirdly, did you notice in Sib I din't have to delete the notes in the 1st chord?.... helpful so I can see them for a guide and delete them at will later.

Also, with speedy entry, I need to buy a pair of magnifying glasses to see it! even when I have zoomed in on the bar, once i go to speedy, its very small again. Any way to fix that??

Thanks

miker

Post by miker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 pm

drhandstand,

I've sent you a private message.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 am

drhandstand wrote:…Firstly, I can't get rid of those rests at the end like you have…
Speedy menu > Speedy Options…
De-select "Fill with Rests at End of Measure".

drhandstand wrote:…Secondly, in step 3...what is "clear" key???…
As you probably have found out, the number keys on the NumPad are used to define the duration.
Actually all the keys on the NumPad have a function in Speedy Entry.
To turn a note into a rest (and to remove a note from a chord) you hit the Clear key which is located on the NumPad above the number 7 key (next to the = key).

drhandstand wrote:…Thirdly, did you notice in Sib I din't have to delete the notes in the 1st chord?.... helpful so I can see them for a guide and delete them at will later…
You can do the same in Speedy Entry.
The order you do things, does not have to be the same as in my mini-tutorial.

drhandstand wrote:…Also, with speedy entry, I need to buy a pair of magnifying glasses to see it! even when I have zoomed in on the bar, once i go to speedy, its very small again. Any way to fix that??…
Sorry, I do not know of a way to fix that.
It seems that the Speedy entry rectangle will follow the zoom level only when the zoom level is 150 % or smaller.
There does not seem to be a way to make the Speedy entry rectangle go to a higher zoom level than 150 %.
- Hey, you have just found a good idea for a feature request!

drhandstand

Post by drhandstand » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks for your help,

I'm using a laptop...macbook...so no number keypad to the side with the clear key.

Is there an equivalent key for a laptop keyboard?

Also, is there a keyboard short cut (mac) to go between speedy entry and simple entry?

Thanks!

miker

Post by miker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:11 am

I would suggest you get a USB numberpad. It will really be helpful.

You can set up your own shortcuts in Mac OS, to get the tools that don't have shortcuts assigned. I have one programmed for Simple, but I never use Speedy.

Remember, you can do just about everything that you can do in Speedy, in Simple. Personally, I think it's easier. But one is really no better than the other, just different. Basically, in Speedy, you select the pitch and assign the duration when you enter it, and in Simple, you select the duration, and assign the pitch when you enter it. They both have strengths and weaknesses.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:15 am

drhandstand wrote:…Is there an equivalent key for a laptop keyboard?…
Fn-6
(the fn key and the 6 key, not the F6 key)

drhandstand wrote:…is there a keyboard short cut (mac) to go between speedy entry and simple entry?…
No. Finale does not work that way.
The only example I can recall, is that there is a keyboard shortcut for toggling between Page View and Scroll View:
Command-E

What you can do, is to program a tool metatool for the Speedy Entry Tool, and program another tool metatool for the Simple Entry Tool.

You can program tool metatools to these keys on the middle QWERTY keyboard row:
F, G, H, J, K, L, semicolon (;), or apostrophe (').

In this example let us say that you want to program a metatool for the Speedy Entry Tool on the letter F key:
While holding down ctrl and Option, hit the letter F key.
In the Master Tool Palette dialog box, double-click the Speedy Entry Tool icon.
From now on, to select the Speedy Entry Tool, press ctrl-F.

NB: Tool metatools are document specific. To get a tool metatool in all new documents, add the tool metatool to the template.

drhandstand

Post by drhandstand » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:26 am

Thanks for your help...
I'll give it a go though it might be a little ambitious for me at this stage.

I'll just keep experimenting!!

Thanks

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27

Post by Peter S. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:48 am

drhandstand wrote: Also, with speedy entry, I need to buy a pair of magnifying glasses to see it! even when I have zoomed in on the bar, once i go to speedy, its very small again. Any way to fix that??
I work on a Windows Version of Finale (and in German). I can set the height of the rectangle in the speedy entry options. Just check the first line and uncheck second and third line, so the rectangle should have the same height as the bar without the rectangle. I hope, you can understand what I mean...

I would solve your problem in speedy entry - and it is not realy difficult...
1. Delete the rests at the end [do not leave the rectangle]
2. go back to the first chord and delete it [do not leave the rectangle]
3. (at least on windows) there is a key that is called "insert", press it, you will get arrows on top and bottom of the curser line [do not leave the rectangle]
4. enter the eight notes and the eight rest, they will be before the half note.

Done

Hope this works on a Mac, too.

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am

Peter S. wrote:…I can set the height of the rectangle in the speedy entry options. Just check the first line and uncheck second and third line, so the rectangle should have the same height as the bar without the rectangle…
Peter Schreiber,

I forgot about that. Thanks.

Peter Thomsen

Peter S. wrote:…3. (at least on windows) there is a key that is called "insert", press it, you will get arrows on top and bottom of the curser line [do not leave the rectangle]…
Speedy Entry Tool's {Insert Mode} can be found here:
Speedy menu > Insert Notes Or Rests

In the Mac version the keyboard shortcut to toggle Insert Mode on/off is Shift-I.

When you are done, do not forget to toggle Insert Mode off - or you will soon be pulling your hair out!

There is also a shortcut to, temporarily use Insert Mode:
Hold down the Shift key.
You will be in Insert Mode until you release the Shift key.
This is convenient when you only need to insert a single note.

Peter S.

Post by Peter S. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote: There is also a shortcut to, temporarily use Insert Mode:
Hold down the Shift key.
You will be in Insert Mode until you release the Shift key.
This is convenient when you only need to insert a single note.
OK, but this seems to work only on a Mac, not on windows

drhandstand

Post by drhandstand » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Thanks for all the help,

It is very overwhelming. I've found some ways around to get the job done...still clunky. Peter S.
Peter S. wrote:I would solve your problem in speedy entry - and it is not realy difficult...
1. Delete the rests at the end [do not leave the rectangle]
2. go back to the first chord and delete it [do not leave the rectangle]
The point is not to have to delete the chord so it can serve as a temporary reference. If you look at the vid I posted of Sibelius to see what I wanted to achieve and with the same ease.

thanks for you ideas

Peter S.

Post by Peter S. » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:36 pm

drhandstand wrote: The point is not to have to delete the chord so it can serve as a temporary reference. If you look at the vid I posted of Sibelius to see what I wanted to achieve and with the same ease.
You can also insert the two eight notes and the eight rest BEFORE you delete the two notes out of the chord...

Peter