Vertical Position Notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

-Laura-
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by -Laura- » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Hello Everybody!

I would like to be helped. I need to write the example that I've attached but I would like to be tidier than that. I mean, I would like that my extract keep all headnotes the same vertical direction. Like if the very centre of both notes across the staff could be join in a vertical line. I know that it is pretty good but I can appreciate a slight differeance between one staff and the other, milimetrical differences, but they are ;)

Thank you very much in advance
Attachments
Example 1..jpg
Example 1..jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:38 pm

I am sorry, but I do not understand?!?

By default Finale stacks the notes vertically so that all notes on the same beat are aligned.

Is that what you want?

Or is that what you do not want?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Peter,

I think I can see what she means. I dragged the edge of my browser window across her example, for a vertical sightline.

Pairs 1, 5, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 18, and 21 are aligned properly.

Pairs 2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 12, 16, 19, and 20 all have the note in the upper staff offset to the left of the lower staff. In some cases, it's only a pixel or two, but some are off by maybe 15-20% of the notehead widths.

Pairs 6 and 17 have the upper notehead to the right.

Accidentals may be the issue here, although I don't know how they are accounted for in the spacing algorithms. I suspect that the cause is that the spacing takes into account all of the notes and accidentals in the measure, and distributes them accordingly. The upper staff has 19 accidentals and parentheses, while the lower staff has only 5. Possibly one of the other spacing choices would work better.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

-Laura-
Finale Version: 2014

Post by -Laura- » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 am

Thank you very much, Peter and Mike. You both are the best support I would never have imagined. As Mike said, the difference is too small but there is a difference... I have done it through the "Special Tool", changing manually when it was needed.

Maybe, if we could adjust both point center heads of the notes, from the upper and lower staff, would be a solution. Maybe for the next version of finale ;)

Thank you very much!

Is always a pleasure being supported by such talented people

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:08 pm

-Laura- wrote:…As Mike said, the difference is too small but there is a difference... I have done it through the "Special Tool", changing manually when it was needed.

Maybe, if we could adjust both point center heads of the notes, from the upper and lower staff, would be a solution. Maybe for the next version of finale ;)
If you want to adjust the position of a beat (moving both notes on that beat simultaneously),
do not move the notes themselves.

Instead, move the beat:
Measure Tool.
Each measure has - on its right barline - two measure handles.
Click the lower handle to display the Beat Chart.
You will get two rows of squares (handles).
Two move a beat, drag its lower handle horizontally.
The beat will move in all staves (in your example the beat will move in both staves).

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, but it won't work to bring the upper and lower notes into alignment. It moves them as a pair.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I could be wrong here, but I think that the upper and lower notes originally were in alignment, and that
they came out of alignment because -Laura- used the wrong tool (= the Special Tools Tool sub-tool
Note Position Tool) to adjust the spacing manually.

The right tool to use for manually adjusting the spacing is the Measure Tool's Beat Chart.

To remove the manual adjustment done with the Special Tool I would set the Music Spacing to "Clear" all Manual Positioning, and then apply Music Spacing, and Update Layout.