add title to show in extracted parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 am

Hi
I've imported an xml file from Sibelius into Finale and for some reason the title that was imported does not show up on the extracted parts.
the title shows up in the 'file info' dialogue box, and I tried creating new text and 'inserting' a title, but it won't sync to each extracted part.
How do I go about creating a title so it shows up on all the extracted parts?

thanks in advance!
Dylan
Finale 2014 - Mac Pro OS 10.8.6 - 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB RAM - 1067 MHz DDR3 - UX16 MIDI interface - Yamaha P70 88-key digital piano

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am

You write "extracted parts".
Do you mean "linked parts"?
Or do you extract parts from the score document?

Since Finale has the feature "linked parts", it is very seldom necessary to extract parts.

Extracted parts are based on the linked parts.
Finale does not extract parts without first generating linked parts.

You tell that the Title does not show up in the extracted parts.
What about the linked parts?
Does the Title show up in the linked parts?

Linked parts are inside the score document - everything is in one, single document.
That is the explanation why the parts are linked to the score:
Correct an error (e. g. a wrong note) in the score, and the error is automatically also corrected in the linked part.
Another advantage is that you have only one document (instead of a separate document for each part).
A common "in-between" solution between using linked parts and using extracted parts is having two copies of the score document:
One copy for the score, and another copy for the linked parts.

Extracted parts are not linked to the score.
If you make an edit in the score (e. g. insert the Text item "Title"), it should automatically show up in the linked parts, but not in the extracted parts.
To transfer the edit to the extracted parts you must extract parts again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:29 pm

ok thank you for the suggestion
I did in fact mean extracted parts, because that is what I've been using all this time, but I will begin to start using linked parts from here on out.
However, I've generated the parts and the imported title still does not get included in the linked parts. I inserted a title with the text tool, however when I open a linked part the title is placed far to the right, almost off the page, and uses the same huge font I used for the orchestral score. Same goes for the composer.

How can I avoid this?
Finale 2014 - Mac Pro OS 10.8.6 - 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 8 GB RAM - 1067 MHz DDR3 - UX16 MIDI interface - Yamaha P70 88-key digital piano

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Also,
when I try to create multimeasured rests for all linked parts using the 'Part Creation Preferences' button in the manage parts dialogue, nothing happens in the linked parts. And there are several instances in the linked parts where multi measured rests are needed (several consecutive measures of rests in the same time signature)
what am I doing wrong?

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Also, (and sorry to be annoying about this, but these problems might help us find a solution) I just noticed that the names of the instruments aren't transferring to the linked parts either

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:16 pm

dprice112 wrote:…I inserted a title with the text tool, however when I open a linked part the title is placed far to the right, almost off the page, and uses the same huge font I used for the orchestral score. Same goes for the composer.

How can I avoid this?
The reason why this happens, is probably that you use the same text block for the score and the linked parts, even if the page formatting is different.
I would use two different text blocks, one for the score, and another for the parts.

1) Zoom out so that you can see an area outside the right edge of the page.

2) In the score, drag the "Score" text block to the right until it is outside the right edge of the page.
The text block will also go outside the right edge of the page in the linked parts.

3) In the score, create a new text block for the parts, and position it as you want it positioned in the parts.

4) Hold down the Override key*, and drag the text block outside the right edge of the score page.
Because of the Override key, the text block will only move in the score, not in the parts.

5) Hold down the Override key, and drag the "Score" text block back to its correct position in the score.
Because of the Override key, the text block will only move back in the score, not in the parts.

*) And what key is the Override key?
It is a modifier key that overrides the default behaviour.
In my Mac version it is the Command key (= the ⌘ key).
I am not sure which modifier key it is in the Windows version.
By holding down the Override key you can move a text block in the score without moving it in the parts.
Or - the other way around - you can view a part, and move a text block in both the parts and the score, by holding down the Override key.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:23 pm

dprice112 wrote:…when I try to create multimeasured rests for all linked parts using the 'Part Creation Preferences' button in the manage parts dialogue, nothing happens in the linked parts. And there are several instances in the linked parts where multi measured rests are needed (several consecutive measures of rests in the same time signature)…
The option in the Part Creation Preferences dialog box will only work when you generate new parts.
It does not affect parts that already exist.

To create multimeasure rests in already existing parts:
- Selection Tool
- Select All
- Edit menu > Multimeasure Rests > Create for Parts/Score…

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:28 pm

dprice112 wrote:…I just noticed that the names of the instruments aren't transferring to the linked parts either
In the score, insert (in a text block) the Text Insert item "Part/Score Name":
Text menu > Insert > Part/Score Name

In the score this Text Insert item will display as "Score" (or as "Partitura" or whatever text you have defined in the File Info as Score Name Insert).
In the parts the very same Text Insert item will display as the name of the part you are viewing.

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:To create multimeasure rests in already existing parts:
- Selection Tool
- Select All
- Edit menu > Multimeasure Rests > Create for Parts/Score…
this does not appear to be working

in a linked part, i follow those steps, and nothing happens

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:18 pm

thank you for the other advice, that was very useful

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

ah-ha!
i discovered the multi measure rest issue. All the whole rests in the parts were inputted by hand. Guess i have to go hit delete on all the whole rests now

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 pm

dprice112 wrote:ah-ha!
i discovered the multi measure rest issue. All the whole rests in the parts were inputted by hand. Guess i have to go hit delete on all the whole rests now
You can save some time by using the plug-in (instead of deleting all the whole rests "manually"):

Plug-In menu > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Change to Default Whole Rests

dprice112

Post by dprice112 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10 pm

that's a powerful tool
thanks!