Movement Titles not showing up

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:50 pm

This question is for Peter Thomsen.

Hello, Peter.

You made some time ago an example file for movement titles, where the titles are expressions placed in a hidden system of 1 measure. Excellent idea.
I thought I had it, so I tried to apply the method to a new movement, but for the 3rd movement, the title only shows up on the score and in the 1st violin part.
It is missing in the other parts.
There must be a little thing that I have missed, but I can't figure out what it is.
Could you please take a look at the file, which is actually nothing more than your example file (saved in 2012), with a 3rd movement added to it. I must be missing one step...

Thank you.
Attachments
2012_movement_title.mus.zip
(5.13 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:46 pm

One of the crucial features with linked parts is that staff styles can be different between score and parts.

The staff style "Hide Staff and Collapse" should be used only in the score, not in the parts.

While viewing the score, try this:

Staff Tool.
Staff menu > Apply Staff Style To > Current Part/Score…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:46 am

Thank you, Peter.
I didn't realize that the staff style "Hide & Collapse" had to be applied to the Score only.
Thus, in the score window, I now apply the staff style "Hide & Collapse" to the Score only for all staves EXCEPT the first one, and indeed, the title appears in all parts in the remaining staff.
The last step is, in the score window, to apply the staff style "Display Nothing" to the first staff (applied to score and parts).
But strangely, the staff lines disappear as they should in the score and 1st violin part, not in the other parts.
I know I can reapply the staff style "Display Nothing" in each part (part only), but there must be a better way...
Any idea ?

Here is the file. Thanks.

PS : If I delete parts and generate them again, subtitles are gone in the parts again. Does that mean that the whole procedure (applying the staff styles) should be done after the parts are created ?

UPDATE :
It seems that a rigourous sequence of actions is necessary for the staff styles. The following one seems to work (in the score window).
1) staves 2, 3, 4 : on score & parts : "Display Nothing"
2) staves 2, 3 4 : on score only : "Hide Staves and Collapse"
3) staff 1 : on score & parts : "Display Nothing"
Attachments
2012_movement_title_test2.mus.zip
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by michelp on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

michelp wrote:…The last step is, in the score window, to apply the staff style "Display Nothing" to the first staff (applied to score and parts).
But strangely, the staff lines disappear as they should in the score and 1st violin part, not in the other parts.
I know I can reapply the staff style "Display Nothing" in each part (part only), but there must be a better way...
Any idea ?…
There is no reason to apply the staff style "Display Nothing" to the parts only, since there is no conflict between the two staff styles "Display Nothing" and "Hide Staff and Collapse".

I did these steps:

1) While viewing the score, apply the staff style "Display Nothing" to all staves.
By default the staff style will be applied to both score and parts.

2) While viewing the score, use the sub-menu "Apply Staff Style To" to, only in the score apply the staff style "Hide Staff and Collapse" to all staves except the top staff.

There are some more steps to do, with the Measure Tool.
I did not mention these steps, since they are quite obvious.

- In the last measure of a movement:
Final Barline

- In the measure with the movement title:
Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key and Time Signatures
Begin a New Staff System
Break a Multimeasure Rest

- In the first measure of the next movement:
Time Signature: Always Show
Begin a New Staff System

Also, create a new Measure Number Region for the next movement.

See the attached document.
2012_movement_title_test3.mus.zip
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
michelp wrote:…PS : If I delete parts and generate them again, subtitles are gone in the parts again. Does that mean that the whole procedure (applying the staff styles) should be done after the parts are created ?
Yes.
When you generate parts again, you loose all part edits.

PS
Some general tips:
* In the Staff Menu, select the options "Show Staff Styles" and "Show Staff Style Names".
Don't worry; they will only show when you are in the Staff Tool.
* When you are in the Staff Tool, use the context menu.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

michelp

Post by michelp » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank you Peter, I see now.
Michel