How would you do this?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

realshafer
Finale Version: Finale 2011 Mac
Operating System: Windows

Post by realshafer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:27 pm

I've attached a mock-up of what I want to do. Specifically I want to align two groups of staves so that they can have different tempi and time signatures. Sometime barlines will line up, other times they will not. My demo here was done using some Illustrator. Is this the only solution? What would be the best way to do this all in Finale? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Finale Version: 2012
Mac
Attachments
demo.jpg
demo.jpg (84.48 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Finale 2011 Mac

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Write normal music.

But if you insist, find the lowest common denominator of time signatures. Insert extra barlines as expressions.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 am

Your demo example is a bad example, since the tempo relationship between the two groups is not constant:
What happens at the place where the time signature is changed to 5/4?

Before the "change point" the tempo relationship is 4:7.
After the "change point" the tempo relationship is 1:2.

Which group is changing its tempo at that point?
Does the upper group play at a constant speed while the lower group plays slightly faster from the 5/4?
Or does the lower group play at a constant speed while the upper group plays slightly slower from the 5/4?

Like Mike says:
It is better to notate this example with a more "normal" layout, using the same time signature in all the staves, and using tuplets to show the tempo relationship.
In that way the layout is impossible to misunderstand.

Your example is possible to do in Finale, but it is a bad layout.

In order to give you the best possible help we need to know more about the actual project.
The more we know, the better we can help you.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

realshafer

Post by realshafer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:31 am

Hi, thanks so much for the replies. I do appreciate it. Here's some more details:

- I left out the tempo changes for each of the two trios. They are both changing tempos constantly, necessitating the use of two conductors with click tracks.

- The vertical alignment should represent accurately what is unfolding over time, thus the different beat ratios.

- The lowest common denominator (with fake barlines) trick won't work in this case, unfortunately.

So, with that information, is there anyway to replicate what I originally posted? The way I did it in the mockup was to have two different Finale files, each with the appropriate number of measures per page. Then I combined them visually in Illustrator, connecting the barlines where they align.

Thanks again for your input!
Finale 2011 Mac

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 am

Here is a short demo (in Finale 2012 format), using hidden tuplets and false barlines entered as expressions.

The whole rests in the lower staves are entered with the Smart Shape sub-tool Custom Line Tool.
Attachments
StaggeredBarlines.mus.zip
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

realshafer

Post by realshafer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for your response and your demo! That makes the solution extremely clear. Really, thank you for the time you took to make that demo. I greatly appreciate it!
Finale 2011 Mac