Changing Defaults (i.e. Margins)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

fijimorgan
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by fijimorgan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:24 am

Every time I create a new piece, I have to change the margins to where I want them. Is there a way to change the default for things like page margins so that I don't have to edit them on every new piece? I also have to load the jazz articulation library on every new piece as well. Can that be changed to load every time?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 am

Indeed there is a way:

Create an empty document with the settings you prefer, and save that document as a template.

Depending of what you prefer to do when creating a new document, there are 3 ways to use your new template:

1) File menu > New > Document from Template…
Finale will display a directory dialog box with its folder for templates.
If you have placed your new template there, you can easily find it in the directory dialog box.
Finale will open an untitled, unsaved copy of the template - the template itself will not be changed.

2) File menu > New > Default Document
If you have placed your new template in Finale's folder for Default Files, you can select it as Finale's Default Document (this is done in Preferences - New).

3) File menu > New > Document With Setup Wizard…
If you have placed your new template in Finale's folder for Document Styles, it will be available in the Document Setup Wizard.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996