Rules & Guidelines on how to notate tuplets?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bassmann89
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bassmann89 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Hello.

I just wondered if anyone could give me simple "rules" or guidelines to follow whenever notating tuplets. I then refer to how to notate certain polyrhytmic figures over so and so many notevalues. E.g: 7 over 3quarters. Wich notevalue to put in for 7 to make it most easy to read and understand?

Kind regards Sindre.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to put 7 quarters in the space of 3 quarters? Can you give us a better idea, or post a sketch of what you have in mind?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:36 pm

To make the tuplet “most easy to read and understand”, here are some ideas:

1) When in doubt, use the same note value in the “numerator” and the “denominator”, e. g. “3 Eighths in the space of 2 Eighths”.
This “same note value in numerator and denominator” type is what performers see most often.

2) The tuplet ratio (in “Finale-speak”: Number) can be displayed in five ways:
- Nothing
- Number
- X:Y
- X:Yq
- Xq:Yq

3) Generally you should use the simplest form as much as possible (without loosing clarity).
Examples:

a. If there are a gazillion of measures filled with the same tuplet, you can safely use the “Nothing” display after the first measure with tuplets.

b. For the “standard” ratios it is sufficient to display the form “Number”.
All performers know that ‘3’ means a triplet with the ratio 3:2.
The standard ratios are:
2 (= 2:3) - Often used in meters like 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8.
3 (= 3:2)
4 (= 4:3) - Often used in meters like 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8.
5 (= 5:4)
6 (= 6:4)
7 (= 7:4)
8 (= 8:6) - Often used in meters like 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8.

c. For the “nonstandard” ratios consider display with a colon, e. g. 6:5 - but there may be cases where there is no need for a denominator, because the meaning is clear in the context.
If the meter is 5/8, and there is a measure filled with 6 eighths, then everybody will understand that the ratio is 6:5.

d. Then there are the more special displays of
- X:Yq
and
- Xq:Yq
I can honestly say that I do not use these special displays, unless I am paid to do so.

Bassmann89 wrote:… 7 over 3 quarters. Wich notevalue to put in for 7 to make it most easy to read and understand? …
Since the speed of such 7-tuplet notes is close to the speed of eighths, I would notate with 7 eighths.

Following the principle of “same note value in numerator and denominator” I would make it a tuplet of
“7 Eighths in the space of 6 Eighths”.

Since the tuplet ratio is not a “standard ratio”, I would go for the display of 7:6.

However, in some cases a display of the number 7 may be sufficient (= no need for colon notation, no need to display a denominator).
If the meter is 3/4, and there is a measure filled with 7 eighths, then everybody will understand that the ratio is 7:6.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Bassmann89
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bassmann89 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 am

Ah! Thanks for a very informative response! Just confirmed what I have always been thinking. It is just that I sometimes experience that Finale don't "agree" with me on the same notevalue in the "nemerator" and "denominator". Though it only happens in speedy entry. Thank you very much Peter! =)