Advanced group barlines question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nobifkie

Post by nobifkie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Hello there!

For my choral scores I like to have staff groups with normal barlines 'only on staves', to have a nice clean look and avoid collision with lyrics, however I need the exceptional barlines (like repeatings, section ends etc.) to be 'through staves' for maximum effect. Is there any way to figure this out?

Additional question (less important): I'd also like (optionally) the final (most right) barline of each system to be through the staves of the group, to visually support the bracket on the left side...

Looking forward to hearing from you!

- Finale 2012 mac

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

In Staff Attributes, you can set up to break barlines between staves, and NOT to break the repeat barlines. I don't know a way to make it selective for your other questions.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

nobifkie

Post by nobifkie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Ah thanks that did a bit of the trick.

For the developers: would be nice if the checkboxes 'break barline' and 'break repeat barline' in the staff attributes would change, into: 'break normal barline' and 'break special barlines' thus including endings, double lines etc.
Also the possibility to set it both in individual and group settings is a bit double & confusing!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:02 pm

nobifkie wrote:…I'd also like (optionally) the final (most right) barline of each system to be through the staves of the group, to visually support the bracket on the left side…
Document menu > Document Options > Barlines
Put a check mark on the option “Close Barline at End of Each System”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:24 pm

nobifkie wrote:…For the developers: would be nice if the checkboxes 'break barline' and 'break repeat barline' in the staff attributes would change, into: 'break normal barline' and 'break special barlines' thus including endings, double lines etc.
Also the possibility to set it both in individual and group settings is a bit double & confusing!
While it may seem a bit double and confusing, it also adds more options to Finale.

Take a look at the attached Finale 2012 document.
Is that what you need?
It was quite easy to do - with a custom staff style in measure 2.
Attachments
Barlines2012.mus.zip
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996