Finale duplicated the Contrabass

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

douweziel
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by douweziel » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Finale 2014
Windows 7

Hi,

I added a new stave in finale - one below Horn I,II: Horn III, IV.

Suddenly, my Contrabass got duplicated.
- The duplicate staff isn't visible in the score, not even when I click "show empty staves" (the staff is, in fact, not empty when I look at it via document -> edit part).
- The duplicate is however visible in the Score Manager, which renamed the original Contrabass to Contrabass I and gave the duplicate the exact same name.
- Also, in the Manage Parts section, it is visible after I click Generate Parts. However, when I click the original Contrabass in the linked parts (right above the duplicate) and look for the duplicate in the Available Instruments screen, there is no extra/duplicate contrabass there.
- The duplicate staff did become visible in the document -> edit part menu after I clicked Generate Parts. The duplicate has the exact same note as the original contrabass. However, both parts seperately have been compressed visually, and systems overlap because of this, resulting in illegible parts.

The other problem is, when I click the little cross on the right in the Score Manager to delete the duplicate, it deletes the original too and vice versa. When I try to set the volume of the duplicate to 0 or 1, it changes back to 101 as soon as I click play or the Score Manager closes. The contrabass in the score now sounds really weird and has seemingly random (or at least much louder) dynamics. Can anyone help me remove this strange duplicate?
There are a lot of signatures I could use here. I choose to use none.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:58 pm

I doubt there is any way we can help, without seeing the score.

To post a .mus file here, it must be compressed (zipped) and cannot exceed 100 kb in size.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Some thoughts:

Have you looked at the document from Scroll View?
I mean, do you see the duplicate staff in Scroll View?

If you can see the duplicate staff in Scroll View, then perhaps you - from the Staff Tool - can select only that staff, and delete it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

roderick
Finale Version: 2012

Post by roderick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Sorry to pick up on a rather old thread but I was wondering whether this issue was ever resolved. I've just had a similar instance of a stave becoming duplicated and any attempt to delete it also deletes the original.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Finale 2012 Mac

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:39 pm

We probably should give the same advice as before. Without seeing a Finale file, it's impossible to troubleshoot.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

roderick

Post by roderick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Absolutely. I suppose I was simply wondering whether a bug had been found or a simple way to cure what might be a problem experienced by others.

I can't post the whole file but the attached suffices to show what's going on. The duplicate trumpet stave appears in scroll view but not page view. Delete it and the main stave goes too! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm

It does seem like a corrupted file. I guess you could either create a new document and paste the exiting music in, or program a staff set in scroll view so you don't have to look at the duplicate.

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm

There's more corruption in this file than just the duplicate staff. My guess is that it may be as a result that this file was originally created in Finale 2000. Often this kind of corruption can creep in over many versions.

Zuill

P.S.: Even exporting to XML and then importing is riddled with major issues. Abandon this corrupt file and start over.

roderick

Post by roderick » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Actually, you might be onto something there as I used a template from a much older piece when I started this commission (my use of Finale goes way back to the 90's). A silly thing to do in retrospect but hindsight's a great thing!

In practice, this piece is pretty much finished and ready to hand over to my publisher. I was simply looking round the forum earlier to see whether there were any references and/or explanations from others for this stave duplication. Also been having a few oddities with layer 2 spacing which might be for the same reason.

I did actually try copying into a new blank document but the duplication copied over!

Incidentally, another oddity was the trumpet part occasionally playing playing an octave down – but not consistently. Likely another result of the same issue.

Thanks for taking the time to make contact.

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:17 am

I played with the file a bit.

Zuill

roderick

Post by roderick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am

... and you lost the duplicate stave! Did I miss something obvious? Maybe I can apply what you did to the complete file to tidy it up.
The trumpet played down an octave straight off but that's nothing new and not hugely important. Can always be tweaked, if required.

zuill

Post by zuill » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I added fresh staves, copied the music to those, then deleted all the original staves.

The trumpet played fine for me. I'm not sure what you mean by playing down an octave.

Zuill

roderick

Post by roderick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:15 pm

I must try again. That process didn't work for me previously but I only tried the trumpet stave
Regarding playback, I mean that the trumpet part periodically plays back an octave lower than it should and that still happens. Clearly a corruption. I'll not be using old templates again!

Thank you again for your interest and time,

Roderick