Issues with Fonts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rdh9
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by rdh9 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi,
I have recently installed a new font on my computer that I am hoping to use in Finale 2014. It works in Finale, but when I go to export the file, which is necessary for adding to a worship program, I get a dialogue that says that it needs to convert the font to a default font since the font isn't a system font. However, I've checked my computer, and they're installed where they should be. Any ideas? Thanks!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Could you tell us the name of the font?

Please post the file, so we can have a look at it. In order to post a file on this forum, it must be compressed (zipped) and the total size must be under 100KB.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

rdh9

Post by rdh9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi,
The font is ITCStoneSerifCom-Medium... I've attached one of the files. When I extract the file so that I get the highest dpi, it changes the font.
Thanks!
Attachments
PsH Wake, Awake, for Night Is Flying.zip
(98.97 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

miker

Post by miker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

I downloaded your document. I didn't have the font, which appears to be a commercial one (and I didn't want to buy it!) I found a free version, ITC Stone Serif Std, rather than Stone Serif Com.

Now, what is the problem? How are you extracting the program? What format and resolution are you trying for? Is this going to be commercially printed in a hymnal, or used in your church service?
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

rdh9

Post by rdh9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi,
I export it as a pdf (File - Export -pdf) because we have found that those pdfs have the highest resolution when we place them in InDesign software, which we use to create program books. I work for the Calvin Institute of Christian Worship--I primarily typeset music for program books, which are 100-300 pages books for worship conferences, large worship services, etc. They need to be highest quality that we can get. I also export these files and then we trim them to size to use as power points to project words and music. Again, we are aiming for the highest quality we can.
Yes, we did buy the font... it was used in hymnals that we own all the Finale files for (I didn't create those files).
Thanks!

miker

Post by miker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

The native Finale PDF export has been plagued with problems since it was introduced. You might want to try one of the free PDF conversion programs, like PDF Converter or Cute PDF.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

rdh9

Post by rdh9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi,
We've tried these and they don't produce high enough resolution pdfs. They compress the files automatically because they function as printers, so it changes the dpi... which is unfortunate.
Thanks!

miker

Post by miker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

then you might have to go to one of the commercial products: Acrobat, or something similar.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:18 pm

rdh9 wrote:…We've tried these and they don't produce high enough resolution pdfs. They compress the files automatically because they function as printers, so it changes the dpi... which is unfortunate…
This does not make sense.
There are two sorts of graphics:
bitmap graphics and vector graphics.

In a bitmap graphic the entire image is mapped, bit for bit, in a specific resolution (= dpi).
If you print a bitmap graphic in a big, scaled up, size (e. g. 400 % size), you will see jaggies in the print.
To avoid the jaggies you could try a bitmap graphic in a higher resolution.
Bitmap graphics in a high resolution are huge in data size.
If you double the resolution, then the resulting bitmap graphic file is 4 times bigger.

In a vector graphic everything is described in mathematical formulas.
The data size is small, compared to bitmap graphics.
Unlike a bitmap graphic, a vector graphic has no “built-in” resolution (dpi).
A vector graphic will always print at the highest possible quality, no matter how much you scale up the size (e. g. 800 % size).

When you “print” a Finale document to a PDF file (e. g. with CutePDF), the resulting PDF file is a
vector graphic.

If I understand you correctly, you are experiencing problems when importing the resulting PDF into InDesign, right?
It ought to work - without resolution problems.

Things to try:

1) Check the settings in CutePDF.
It is important that all fonts are embedded in the PDF.
I think that CutePDF has a setting for embedding fonts.

2) Check whether the resulting InDesign document prints correctly.
Even if you see jaggies on the computer screen, the print may be sharp and in high quality.
What you see on the computer screen, may be a temporary bitmap graphic preview rather than the
“real” PDF.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Paul Inwood
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by Paul Inwood » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:12 pm

A late reply to this thread.

Over the years I have tried numerous different free PDF converters, and they have all proved unsatisfactory — PDF995, Cute, etc, etc, with one exception. The one that seems to work best is Bullzip PDF Printer. It has been stable for me for a number of years now, and allows very high resolution printing, up to 4000dpi which is more than most commercial printers can handle (2400dpi is already too high for many). You have to select the correct advanced properties so that the programme does not automatically compress the file, automatically embeds all fonts, etc. The amount of control of different parameters is greater than in any other free PDF converter I have ever worked with. Certainly I would use this in preference to the onboard PDF facility provided with Finale.