Grace notes within triplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ddeseg
Finale Version: 2011
Operating System: Windows

Post by ddeseg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:35 pm

I own Finale 2011, on the Windows platform.

I am trying to create a triplet (eighth notes), and each eighth note within the triplet has its own grace note. When I use Ctrl+3 in Speedy Entry, the triplet assigns itself to the grace note. If I use Ctrl+3 (Speedy) and enter only the triplet notes, I cannot go back and enter the grace notes without them becoming cluster intervals with the original pitches. When I hit the ; key to alter the grace notes, the original notes also become grace notes. I know I can enter the grace notes graphically, but they are supposed to appear on ledger lines above the staff; and I would prefer they not be graphics--I'd like them to be included in playback.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Here is an idea:

Enter the triplet without the grace notes.
Next, switch to the Simple Entry Tool, and enter the grace notes with the mouse.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 am

I tried it out with Fin209 on Windows, and everything works normally.

Ich can enter a triplet without grace notes, go back to the triplet an enter the grace notes in between (on speedy entry). And I can enter the first grace note and then start with the triplet (Ctrl3) with the first note, next grace note, next triplet-note, last grace note, last triplet note. Everything fine then...

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10