measure numbers in linked parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LiliRose
Finale Version: 2014d
Operating System: Mac

Post by LiliRose » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:47 pm

I am using Finale 2014c on a Macbook Pro. I have displayed bar numbers on every bar of a full score, but in the linked parts I would like the numbers to display only at the beginning of each staff. The settings in Edit Measure Number Regions appear to be correct for the Linked parts (Use Staff Settings is unchecked, Show on Start of Staff System is checked, Show on Every 1 Measure is unchecked), but the bar numbers continue to appear on every bar in the parts. I can either hide them all or show them all, but I can't get it to do what I want. What am I missing?
Thank you!

Shelley

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:35 am

LiliRose wrote:…Use Staff Settings is unchecked…
You probably mean that Use Score Settings is unchecked.

LiliRose wrote:…Show on Start of Staff System is checked, Show on Every 1 Measure is unchecked…
Did you select Show On Top Staff?
The setting Show On Top Staff will force the top staff in each part to display measure numbers.
This “force” setting will override the Staff Attributes so that the top staff will show measure numbers, even if measure numbers are de-selected in the Staff Attributes for the top staff.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:33 am

Yes - I did mean Score Settings - sorry.

Show on Top Staff was not checked in either the score or part settings, but when I set up the document, I selected certain lines in the score (including the top) to show all the bar numbers so I would always have a line on the screen where I could see them, if that makes sense. Therefore, parts like Piccolo, Horn I, and Violin I display the bar numbers, while the Clarinet 2 part does not because it did not display them in the score. I think I need to figure out how to make the Staff attribute settings and the Measure number settings play nicely together, because something I did during set up evidently caused this problem.
Thanks as always for your help!

Shelley

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 am

Here is what I ended up doing:
1. I changed the Staff Attributes of every instrument so that Measure Numbers was checked under Items to Display. I had tinkered with it when I originally set up the document so that bar numbers would only appear on certain instruments in the score, but I think it was contributing to my problem.
2. In Edit Measure Number Regions for the score, I made sure Top Staff and Bottom Staff were unchecked, though I'm pretty sure they already were
Instead, I checked Show on every 1 Measure.
This results in every bar in every instrument in the full score displaying a bar number, which I didn't really want, but that's a problem for another day.
3. In Edit Measure Number Regions for the Linked Parts, I checked Show on Start of Staff System (also already done)
4. With each Linked Part, using the Measure tool, Select All, then Restore Measure Defaults. I know you had recommended this to someone else to solve a similar problem, but I think because of the settings I had changed during set-up, it didn't seem to work before, at least, not for the particular part I was looking at. Now it does. The bar numbers display only at the beginning of each line and in the multi-bar rests, as I wanted. Many of them are yellow, but they seem to print correctly.
All of these steps may not have been necessary, but I just threw everything I could think of at this.
I wonder if there is a way to display the bar number range only for multi-bar rests of more than ten bars.
Good night!

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Today I discovered that restoring the measure number defaults on each part does not stick: when the document is saved, closed, then reopened later, all the bar numbers are back on most of the parts (though, strangely, not all of the parts). <sigh>

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:49 pm

I trust you realize how difficult it can be to diagnose something blindly with nothing to look at.

I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document that shows the problem.
You can safely clear all the music, and delete some measures.
To inspect the measure numbers we only need to see a few empty measures.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 pm

I reduced the sample to four empty bars of a single instrument and compressed it and it's still 154 KB - sorry I don't know how to make it work. I will have to figure out something else.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:14 am

LiliRose wrote:I reduced the sample to four empty bars of a single instrument and compressed it and it's still 154 KB…
To reduce the file size you can delete all the expressions in the Expression Selection, delete all the articulations in the Articulation Selection, delete all the shapes in the Shape Selection, &c.

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Hm - I had already cleared everything but the measure numbers using "Clear Selected Items" - is there hidden data? Clicking on the respective tools doesn't reveal anything.

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:14 am

I think I did it.
Full Score: Edit Measure number regions: Show on Start of Staff System only. Then,
Measure tool, Select All.
Control+Click on a measure number handle.
Hide/Show Based on Region
Repeat for every two pages.
Done. Bar numbers in the parts are only at the beginning of each staff and in the multi-bar rests, and it seems to stick even after the document is closed and reopened.
I tried this process first in a part, but it did not stick because the numbers were still on every bar in the score.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 am

LiliRose wrote:…I had already cleared everything but the measure numbers using "Clear Selected Items" - is there hidden data?…
The command “Clear Selected Items” only clears the expressions, articulations &c. from the music notation.
They are still stored in the document, making the document’s file size bigger.
You can still see them in the document’s Expression Selection window, Articulation window, &c.
When you delete them from the Expression Selection, Articulation Selection &c., they are removed from the document.
This deletion makes the document’s file size smaller.
LiliRose wrote:…Clicking on the respective tools doesn't reveal anything.
Clicking on a tool does not open the tool’s Selection window.

To open a tool’s Selection window you must be in the tool, and click or double-click in a staff or on a note.

LiliRose

Post by LiliRose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:26 am

Oh - I see. I was too focussed on what was actually in active use in the document. I'll remember that for next time.
The problem seems to be solved, anyway, so I needn't trouble you further (with that particular thing).
Thank you for your patience!

Shelley

jeff1326
Finale Version: 26

Post by jeff1326 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 am

Measure numbers are a great example of how hard it is to do simple things in Finale. In Sebelius (where I plan to switch as soon as I'm done with my current project) I'll bet it takes two clicks. Here, you go round and round because the programmers didn't take the time to fix the code.