fingering unstable

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:28 pm

In the attached file I can't seem to get the fingering of the lower voice to stay in its position.
I position it properly, then when I come back to it, it shifts away from where I placed it, even after I
undo Automatic Music Spacing. Only measure 1 appears correctly. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
fingering.mus.zip
fingering
(45.96 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 pm

The problem seems to be how you have the positioning set. The 1 is set "above note", and it seems OK. The 2 and 5 were set "below note", but, you had them attached to layer one. So, even when you moved them below the layer two note, they shifted back to below the layer one.

I would suggest setting the positioning to "manual." Then, they should stay where you put them. Or, you can leave them the way you have them, but be sure you're in the correct layer to get what you want.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

musicus

Post by musicus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Sorry, how do I find "manual positioning?"

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Right-click on an articulation in the score, and choose Edit Articulation Definition. Or, select an aticulation in the dialogue box, and tap "edit".
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:13 am

A couple of OT suggestions regarding the fingering:

1. Better to use the Maestro font numbers at 12 pt. for your fingering rather than Times. They are more easily seen.
2. Use a elision mark (small slur) between the numbers to show a change of finger on a held note. Or a hyphen. You will find an elision mark in the Engraver Font set (slot 105)

Your piano braces are too far from the left bar line. They can be adjusted globally at Staff Tool>Groups and Brackets>Edit>Bracket options>Distance from left edge of staff= -.333 spaces or -.0277 inches
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

musicus

Post by musicus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi, thanks for your suggestion re the braces.
John Ruggero wrote:A couple of OT suggestions regarding the fingering:

1. Better to use the Maestro font numbers at 12 pt. for your fingering rather than Times. They are more easily seen.
2. Use a elision mark (small slur) between the numbers to show a change of finger on a held note. Or a hyphen. You will find an elision mark in the Engraver Font set (slot 105)

Your piano braces are too far from the left bar line. They can be adjusted globally at Staff Tool>Groups and Brackets>Edit>Bracket options>Distance from left edge of staff= -.333 spaces or -.0277 inches