Tuplet problem

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:51 pm

I just sent you a Private Message. Get back to me. We'll do a Zoom, and all shall be made clear.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:55 pm

onehunkytenor wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:30 pm
miker wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:45 am
I hate to say it, but this time, it’s user error. Or at least, misunderstanding.
If it's a misunderstanding or user error, then do please help me to understand or avoid the error! I thought I mentioned it originally, but looks like I didn't... Simple Entry is the goal.

It's easier to show, than to tell. Please respond to my PM.
miker wrote:
Set your default tuplet to 3 eighths in the space of two eighths. NOT three eighths in the space of one quarter. NOT Use Current Value.
How? I have looked high and low and cannot find a way to make this work in Simple Entry. Changes to the values to the left and right of "In The Space Of" in the Tuplet Definition dialog just do NOT stick. Also, and as an unimportant aside, as 3 eighths in the space of two eighths and three eighths in the space of one quarter are the same thing, why would this difference matter?

They may not stick, because you may not be clicking Save As Default.
Why would it matter? Because this is Finale we're talking about.

miker wrote:
Enter the first note of your tuplet. Tap numberpad 9. This will return you to the score, where you can change the duration and enter the last note(s) of the triplet.
Is this not for Speedy Entry? I believe I need this to work for Simple Entry :) These notes are already in-score and on-screen. I am not entering new notes... I need to change existing notes into tuplets.

My instructions are for Simple Entry.

Thanks!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:51 pm

onehunkytenor wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:30 pm
miker wrote:
Enter the first note of your tuplet. Tap numberpad 9. This will return you to the score, where you can change the duration and enter the last note(s) of the triplet.
Is this not for Speedy Entry? I believe I need this to work for Simple Entry :) These notes are already in-score and on-screen. I am not entering new notes... I need to change existing notes into tuplets.
The 9 key is indeed Simple entry (it need not be on the number pad).

To change already-entered notes to tuplets, use the separate Tuplet tool (Tools menu, Tuplet), not Simple or Speedy entry. Click on the first note.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:05 pm

onehunkytenor wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:33 pm
… the notes are already on-screen and in-score …
If I understand you correctly, you have already into the Finale document entered the notes as normal values - right?

And now you need to change the notes to triplet notes so that they do not “overfill” the duration space - right?

In this case, switch to the Tuplet Tool on the Main Tool Palette (not the Tuplet sub-tool on the Simple Entry Palette).

Click on the first triplet entry. The dialog box Tuplet Definition appears.

Now you can define the tuplet as
3 Eighths in the space of 2 Eighths

You can repeat this process for each triplet.

However, since you need to do this conversion many, many times, consider using a tuplet metatool.

To program and use a tuplet metatool:

* Click the Tuplet Tool.
* Define the metatool by typing ⇧3 (⇧ and a number key or letter key) and entering the values you need (= 3 Eighths in the space of 2 Eighths).
* While holding down 3 click the first note of each triplet.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by Anders Hedelin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:26 pm

Actually there is a faster way. Select Tuplet tool and press Shift + a number, and define the tuplet as 3 eighths instead of 2 eighths (or whatever you need). Now you have created a tuplet metatool.

Then enter the first note of the tuplet (in Simple or Speedy), switch to Tuplet tool, press the metatool number you have chosen and click on that first note of the tuplet. When you add notes, they will be part of the tuplet for as long as it lasts.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10